5 Things You Don't Know About Joaquin Phoenix
This three-time Oscar nominee -- who this year is up for Best Actor for his powerful portrayal in The Master -- shockingly announced in 2008 that he was retiring from acting to pursue a career in hip-hop music. It was later revealed that the announcement -- along with consistently erratic behavior and appearances -- was faked as part of a mockumentary he was filming with Casey Affleck.
1. Born Joaquin Rafael Bottom on October 28, 1974 in Puerto Rico. He was the middle child in a brood of five and his parents were missionaries for the Children of God religious movement.
PICS: Look Who's Presenting at The Oscars!
2. As part of research for his role in the 2004 film Ladder 49, he actually graduated from the Baltimore Fire Academy and spent a month living and working with real firefighters and helping fight real fires.
3. A strict vegan and animal rights activist, he once refused to wear shoes during a photo shoot for designer brand Prada because they were made of leather.
VIDEO: Oscars Flashback '01: Joaquin Can't Tie a Tie
4. Has said that he refuses to watch his movies or read his own interviews. "If I watch myself, I'm not satisfied. I see things I've missed," he told People magazine.
5. Was in a car accident in 2006 in which his car flipped over on a winding canyon road. He was helped out of the wreckage by German film director Werner Herzog, who lived near the scene of the crash. After the rescue, Herzog called an ambulance and then vanished.
RELATED: Joaquin Phoenix: Awards Season is 'Utter Bulls***'
Check out the Kardashians' best swimsuit moments during their family vacation in St. Barths on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Bad Summer Looks
From Miley Cyrus to Nicki Minaj, see some of the worst summer fashion in Hollywood.Watch Video »
Tats for Love
From Heidi Klum and Seal to Ryan Sweeting and Kaley Cuoco, see which stars got tattoos for love.Watch Video »
Jada Pinkett Smith, Amber Heard and co-stars dish on what it was like on set of "Magic Mike XXL" with Wonderwall.com's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Shailene Woodley and the stars of "Divergent" chat phobias and on-set injuries at the film's world premiere.Watch Video »
Kim Kardashian, Kristin Davis, and Emma Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »