USMagazine, Saturday, January 5, 2013, 8:30am (PST)
Months after being stripped of his seven Tour de France titles amid doping allegations, Lance Armstrong is considering a public admission regarding his rumored use of performance-enhancing drugs and blood transfusions, the New York Times reports.
Citing anonymous sources, the Times says that Armstrong has confided in several associates and antidoping officials about a possible confession, in part because he hopes to resume his career and participate in triathlons and running events.
(In addition to losing his seven titles, the cyclist was barred for life from competing in all sports sanctioned by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency and the World Anti-Doping Agency. He also resigned from the board of directors for Livestrong, the foundation he started after his battle with testicular cancer.)
The famed athlete, 41, previously denied all doping charges, including those leveled against him in October 2011, when he was stripped of his Tour de France titles. But the Times claims that he has been under increasing pressure to come clean.
According to the World Anti-Doping Code, Armstrong's lifetime ban could be reduced if he makes a full confession about the details of his doping, including how he did it, who helped him, and how he got away with it. However, sources tell the Times that the cyclist is worried about perjury charges if he steps forward, since he previously swore in testimony that he was innocent.
Armstrong's attorney, Tim Herman, disputes claims that his client has been in discussions with U.S. Anti-Doping Agency official Travis Tygart and also says he has not sought any meetings with World Anti-Doping Agency official David Howman.
"When, and if, Lance has something to say, there won't be any secret about it," Herman told the Associated Press.