Naomi Campbell wins libel case over elephant polo
- Photo: LTA/WENN1 of 18
- Photo: Camera Press/Retna Ltd.2 of 18
- Photo: Brian To/WENN3 of 18
- Photo: Tony Clark/WENN4 of 18
- Photo: Andres Otero/WENN5 of 18
- Photo: HBE/HSS/WENN6 of 18
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com7 of 18
- Photo: KMazur/WireImage8 of 18
- Photo: L. Busacca/WireImage9 of 18
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage10 of 18
- Photo: Gina James/Retna Ltd.11 of 18
- Photo: Gtres/Fame Flynet12 of 18
- Photo: BRJ/Fame Flynet13 of 18
- Photo: OHPIX/Bauer-Griffin14 of 18
- Photo: Paul Hurschmann/AP/Camera Press/Retna Ltd.15 of 18
- Photo: BG/Bauer-Griffin16 of 18
- Photo: ecorazzi.com/.17 of 18
LONDON (AP) — Model Naomi Campbell accepted libel damages Thursday from a British newspaper over a story that falsely claimed she was planning an elephant polo match in India for her partner's birthday.
RELATED: The biggest celeb makeup mistakes
The November article in the Daily Telegraph said Campbell was going to organize the tournament in Jodhpur for partner Vladislav Doronin's 50th birthday. The article included criticisms from animal-welfare activists.
Campbell's lawyer Gideon Benaim told a judge at London's High Court that the story was "simply false and the criticisms unfounded."
He said the article was widely republished in the Indian press and elsewhere, including over the Internet, "attracting a storm of adverse publicity against Ms. Campbell."
RELATED: The most risque outfits ever
Julia Varley, lawyer for the Daily Telegraph's publisher, told the court the newspaper regretted running the article.
The 42-year-old model said in a statement that the allegations should never have been published. But she said she was "glad that the matter has been resolved and I accept the newspaper's apology."
The amount of the damages, described as "substantial," was not disclosed.
RELATED: January's fashion hits and misses
Best & Worst VMA
See some of the best and worst fashion from this year's nominees at previous VMAs.Watch Video »
Take a look at some of Katy Perry's most talked-about looks from over the years.Watch Video »
Check out Blake Lively and Duchess Kate's growing baby bumps on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Jennifer Hudson, Michelle Williams, and Paris Hilton all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Worst Fall Trends
From Jessica Simpson to Heidi Klum, check out these A-listers and their worst fall fashion duds.Watch Video »
Kourtney Kardashian shares pictures from her recent trip to Disneyland on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »