Naomi Campbell wins libel case over elephant polo
- Photo: LTA/WENN1 of 18
- Photo: Camera Press/Retna Ltd.2 of 18
- Photo: Brian To/WENN3 of 18
- Photo: Tony Clark/WENN4 of 18
- Photo: Andres Otero/WENN5 of 18
- Photo: HBE/HSS/WENN6 of 18
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com7 of 18
- Photo: KMazur/WireImage8 of 18
- Photo: L. Busacca/WireImage9 of 18
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage10 of 18
- Photo: Gina James/Retna Ltd.11 of 18
- Photo: Gtres/Fame Flynet12 of 18
- Photo: BRJ/Fame Flynet13 of 18
- Photo: OHPIX/Bauer-Griffin14 of 18
- Photo: Paul Hurschmann/AP/Camera Press/Retna Ltd.15 of 18
- Photo: BG/Bauer-Griffin16 of 18
- Photo: ecorazzi.com/.17 of 18
LONDON (AP) — Model Naomi Campbell accepted libel damages Thursday from a British newspaper over a story that falsely claimed she was planning an elephant polo match in India for her partner's birthday.
RELATED: The biggest celeb makeup mistakes
The November article in the Daily Telegraph said Campbell was going to organize the tournament in Jodhpur for partner Vladislav Doronin's 50th birthday. The article included criticisms from animal-welfare activists.
Campbell's lawyer Gideon Benaim told a judge at London's High Court that the story was "simply false and the criticisms unfounded."
He said the article was widely republished in the Indian press and elsewhere, including over the Internet, "attracting a storm of adverse publicity against Ms. Campbell."
RELATED: The most risque outfits ever
Julia Varley, lawyer for the Daily Telegraph's publisher, told the court the newspaper regretted running the article.
The 42-year-old model said in a statement that the allegations should never have been published. But she said she was "glad that the matter has been resolved and I accept the newspaper's apology."
The amount of the damages, described as "substantial," was not disclosed.
RELATED: January's fashion hits and misses
Check out Blake Lively's fashionable pregnancy style.Watch Video »
LeAnn Rimes, Mariah Carey, and other stars get in the Christmas spirit extra early on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out Ian Somerhalder and Nikki Reed's cutest Instagram moments on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Check out The Rock showing off his soft side.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTFeathered Frocks
From Crowd Ignite