Prince William remembers Princess Diana in Australia
- Photo: Splash News1 of 18
- Photo: Martin Hunter/AP2 of 18
- Photo: Ross Setford/SNPA/AP3 of 18
- Photo: Mark Mitchell/AP4 of 18
- Photo: Fiona Goodall/AP5 of 18
- Photo: Fiona Goodall/AP6 of 18
- Photo: Fiona Goodall/AP7 of 18
- Photo: Fiona Goodall/AP8 of 18
- Photo: Pool/Samir Hussein/WireImage/.9 of 18
- Photo: SPS/WENN10 of 18
- Photo: Rex USA11 of 18
- Photo: ROSS SETFORD/AP12 of 18
- Photo: Rex USA13 of 18
- Photo: GettyImages.com14 of 18
- Photo: GettyImages.com15 of 18
- Photo: GettyImages.com16 of 18
- Photo: Jason Bell/Camera Press/Redux/.17 of 18
More Celeb News
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame PlazaMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:50:00 PM
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Goes to the Movies, But It's Lights Out for One MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:24:00 PM
- DreamWorks Animation Talks Collapse, SoftBank Turns to Legendary Entertainment (Report)MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:46:00 PM
- Dancing with the Stars: Who Got the Season's First Perfect Score?MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:27:00 PM
- Postmortem: Everything Went Wrong on Sleepy Hollow This Week. Stars Preview What's NextMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:01:00 PM
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame Plaza
Prince William's arrival in Australia with his wife, Kate Middleton, and his son, Prince George, was a moment of reflection for the new father. He gave a speech in Sydney at the welcoming reception for his family, commenting on the love his late mother Princess Diana had for the country, as well as his brother Harry's ties to the area.
"This visit to Australia has been one that Catherine and I have been looking forward to for a long time," the prince, 31, said. "On my first visit here as an adult in 2010, I remember just how bowled over I was by Sydney; seeing the energy and diversity of this beautiful city, and understanding just how much Australia is the home of innovation, opportunity and possibility."
"I was well prepared; the affection that my grandmother, The Queen, has for this nation is infectious," William divulged. "Her Majesty spoke recently of how, since her first visit here sixty years ago, she has been privileged to witness Australia’s growing economy and flowering self-confidence."
"For Catherine, Harry, and me, born in the early '80s, we’ve never known anything else – Australia and Australians have always been for us a beacon of confidence, creativity in the arts and sporting ability," he continued, referencing his wife and his brother. "Harry felt very honored to be invited to the centenary Fleet Review in Sydney harbor last year; and I know how much my father enjoyed his visit here in honor of The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee. My mother’s deep affection for Australia – which you were so kind to reciprocate – needs no reminder."
Before her untimely death at the age of 36 in 1997, Princess Diana toured Australia for a final time in 1996, after bringing her young son Prince William to the country in 1983 with her then-husband Prince Charles.
In fact, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's current tour of New Zealand and Australia mirrors the trip William took as a baby. The comparison was taken a step further on Wednesday, April 16, when the royal couple showed off their baby George in a white romper, a look royal enthusiasts pointed out was strikingly similar to one that Will sported as a little one. Middleton, 32, paid her own homage to Princess Diana at the start of the trip, channeling her in a red coat that resembled the one the late royal wore on her arrival to New Zealand.
ALSO ON WONDERWALL:
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTYoung Hollywood
From Crowd Ignite