Angelina Jolie marks World Refugee Day with donation
- Photo: BILL DAVILA/StarTraks1 of 20
- Photo: NBC/MSN2 of 20
- Photo: CAP/PPG/JH/Retna Ltd.3 of 20
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP4 of 20
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage5 of 20
- Photo: AB1/WENN6 of 20
- Photo: Fame Flynet7 of 20
- Photo: LVB/WENN8 of 20
- Photo: Chris Ashford/Retna Ltd.9 of 20
- Photo: Weekblad Prive/Ferry de Kok/NPG10 of 20
- Photo: Dan Kitwood/Invision/AP11 of 20
- Photo: Paul Smith/Retna Ltd.12 of 20
- Photo: Tammie Arroyo/Retna Ltd.13 of 20
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Steve Granitz/WireImage14 of 20
- Photo: Fame Flynet15 of 20
- Photo: Fame Flynet16 of 20
- Photo: LACMA/Howard Pasamanick/Invision/AP17 of 20
- Photo: LACMA/Howard Pasamanick/Invision/AP18 of 20
- Photo: LACMA/Howard Pasam/Promotional19 of 20
Generous Angelina Jolie has donated $100,000 to the United Nations in celebration of World Refugee Day on Wednesday.
RELATED: Angelina's life as a mom
The actress currently serves as a Special Envoy for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and she has been a goodwill ambassador for over 10 years, dedicating much of her personal time to boosting humanitarian efforts in countries all around the world, including Iraq and Pakistan.
And now the Salt star has funneled some of her own money into providing further aid, particularly in Syria, by cutting a massive check to the organization on the annually-observed holiday.
Announcing the donation, Jolie has urged her fellow Americans to follow her lead and do what they can to aid the globe's refugee crisis.
RELATED: Celebs who have mantra tattoos
She says, "UNHCR believes even one person forced to flee is too many. And it's true. Every individual refugee matters. Each has their own story. Each has suffered and survived more than I could ever bear. And yet, they rise up to live another day...
"Unfortunately, the world is producing displaced people faster than it is producing solutions to displacement. And the solutions are not exclusively humanitarian - they are also political. The international community should rededicate itself to preventing conflict, addressing it when it erupts, and solving it more quickly for that is the only way to create durable solutions for the refugees whose strength inspires us on this World Refugee Day."
RELATED: Celebs who have twin kids
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is up to today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »