Anne Hathaway Goes on Extreme Diet to Prep for 'Les Miserables' Role
- Photo: DDAA/ZOB/http://www.wenn.com/1 of 16
- Photo: Andres Otero/WENN2 of 16
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage3 of 16
- Photo: DM1/WENN4 of 16
- Photo: Miramax/Promotional5 of 16
- Photo: Mark J. Terrill/Invision/AP6 of 16
- Photo: Doug Meszler/Splash News7 of 16
- Photo: Doug Meszler/Splash News8 of 16
- Photo: FREDDIE BAEZ/StarTraks9 of 16
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage10 of 16
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP11 of 16
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage12 of 16
- Photo: Reuters/Invision/AP13 of 16
- Photo: BSD/RSM/MWM/ZO9/WENN14 of 16
- Photo: ELIOT PRESS/Bauer-Griffin15 of 16
Anne Hathaway is on a depravation diet.
Reportedly ordered to drop 16 lbs. in three weeks for her role as Fantine in the upcoming film adaptation of the musical 'Les Miserables,' the 5-foot-8 actress, 29, is subsisting on a meager 500 calories per day (versus the recommended 2,000), according to the U.K. Daily Mirror.
While Hathaway, who portrays a prostitute stricken with a terminal case of tuberculosis, is losing weight for the role, her publicist explains that the specifics aren't quite accurate. "The numbers are exaggerated in both pounds and calories," her rep argues.
In addition to her strict diet, Hathaway had to endure grueling workout sessions stateside before jetting off to London where she's currently filming the flick.
"Anne was exercising two hours a day, five days a week!" a source close to the star explains.
Les Mis isn't the first role that's forced Hathaway to whittle her middle. For her role as Catwoman in this summer's The Dark Knight Rises, the actress has said she lived on "kale and dust."
ALSO ON WONDERWALL:
Shailene Woodley and the stars of "Divergent" chat phobias and on-set injuries at the film's world premiere.Watch Video »
Tats for Love
From Heidi Klum and Seal to Ryan Sweeting and Kaley Cuoco, see which stars got tattoos for love.Watch Video »
Zoe's Cute Family
Check out Zoe Saldana and husband Marco Perego's cutest family moments!Watch Video »
From the once seemingly aloof bachelor to the now ever-adoring husband, check out George Clooney's transformation.Watch Video »
Katy Perry, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, and Lady Gaga all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
Chrissy Teigen cries over cheese, plus more of her funniest Instagram moments.Watch Video »