Billy Bob Thornton: I Didn't Think I Was Good Enough to Be Married to Angelina Jolie
- Photo: Paul Smith/Retna Ltd.1 of 6
- Photo: Harry Pluviose/Retna Ltd.2 of 6
- Photo: Tammie Arroyo/Retna Ltd.3 of 6
- Photo: Z. Tomaszewski/WENN4 of 6
- Photo: Jody Cortez/WENN5 of 6
More Celeb News
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame PlazaMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:50:00 PM
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Goes to the Movies, But It's Lights Out for One MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:24:00 PM
- DreamWorks Animation Talks Collapse, SoftBank Turns to Legendary Entertainment (Report)MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:46:00 PM
- Dancing with the Stars: Who Got the Season's First Perfect Score?MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:27:00 PM
- Postmortem: Everything Went Wrong on Sleepy Hollow This Week. Stars Preview What's NextMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:01:00 PM
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame Plaza
Billy Bob Thornton says he screwed up big time with Angelina Jolie.
In an interview with ABC's "Nightline" (airing Wednesday at 11:35 p.m. ET), the Oscar-winning actor, 56, says he realizes he blew it with Jolie, 36, who is currently engaged to Brad Pitt, because he didn't think he was good enough for her.
"She has one way she wanted to live her life and I had another way to live mine," Thornton reveals. "I was just too insecure."
The "Monster's Ball" star says compared to his stunning ex-wife he felt "like the Phantom of the Opera hiding in the catacombs." Harsh comments from Jolie fans didn't help. "People actually said that I didn't deserve to be with her," Thornton shares.
Adding to the strain on their marriage? Their disparate levels of fame.
"When you're in a relationship, any two celebrities or whatever, you know, I think that puts on a lot of pressure," Thornton tells "Nightline." "When Angie and I got married, during that time, I was more famous than she was to start with and then she becomes this big thing, it's hard in these relationships."
Still, the actor says he deserves to shoulder the blame for his failed marriage to Jolie, with whom he says he remains good friends.
"We had a great marriage and I chickened out because I didn't feel good enough," he admits. "That's all that happened. It was no big deal; we never hated each other."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTYoung Hollywood
From Crowd Ignite