Billy Crystal presents $1 million check to rebuild hometown after Superstorm Sandy
- Photo: Rob Latour/Rex USA1 of 10
- Photo: Jim Smeal / BEImages/Rex USA2 of 10
- Photo: KR4/WENN3 of 10
- Photo: Fallen Star/PacificCoastNews.com4 of 10
- Photo: Mark J. Terrill/Invision/AP5 of 10
- Photo: Bob Galbraith/Invision/AP6 of 10
- Photo: Mark J. Terrill/Invision/AP7 of 10
- Photo: Carlo Allegri/Invision/AP8 of 10
- Photo: Mark J. Terrill/Invision/AP9 of 10
More Celeb News
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame PlazaMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:50:00 PM
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Goes to the Movies, But It's Lights Out for One MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:24:00 PM
- DreamWorks Animation Talks Collapse, SoftBank Turns to Legendary Entertainment (Report)MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:46:00 PM
- Dancing with the Stars: Who Got the Season's First Perfect Score?MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:27:00 PM
- Postmortem: Everything Went Wrong on Sleepy Hollow This Week. Stars Preview What's NextMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:01:00 PM
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame Plaza
Billy Crystal has helped raise $1 million to aid officials rebuilding his native Long Beach, N.Y., following the devastation of last year's Superstorm Sandy.
RELATED: WATN: 'Sleepless in Seattle'
The "When Harry Met Sally..." star returned home on Saturday to present the check to local authorities after helping raise the majority of the funds from the Celebrity Fight Night charity gala in March. The annual event, which salutes the legacy of boxing legend Muhammad Ali, supports the Muhammad Ali Parkinson Center in Phoenix and a host of other organizations, and the city of Long Beach was one of the beneficiaries at this year's bash.
Crystal boosted the $888,000 raised by dipping into his own funds to round up the gift to a cool $1 million.
The comedian previously shared his heartbreak over the extreme damage caused to his hometown during an appearance at the star-studded 12-12-12 Concert for Sandy Relief in December, telling the audience, "It was the perfect place to grow up -- the motto of our town is, 'I have Long Beach sand in my shoes' and now that sand is still in their kitchens, and their living rooms and still in their streets. The ocean I used to dream about became their worst nightmare. No one could have anticipated the level of devastation Sandy would bring, or just how many lives it would affect. Over 100 people died, over 600,000 homes and 500,000 businesses were destroyed or damaged, entire neighborhoods were wiped out."
Get out the vote
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTStork Report
From Crowd Ignite