Cate Blanchett Goes Un-Photoshopped for Mag Cover
- Photo: Intelligent Life/Promotional1 of 17
- Photo: KMazur/WireImage2 of 17
- Photo: Evan Agostini/StarTraks3 of 17
- Photo: Scope Australia/PacificCoastNews.com4 of 17
- Photo: RW5/ZJE/WENN5 of 17
- Photo: Lisa Maree Williams/Getty Images North America6 of 17
- Photo: Mark Mainz/Invision/AP7 of 17
- Photo: AP1/WENN8 of 17
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP9 of 17
- Photo: Andres Otero/WENN10 of 17
- Photo: Fame Pictures11 of 17
- Photo: Pascal Le Segretain/GettyImages.com12 of 17
- Photo: Peter Kramer/Invision/AP13 of 17
- Photo: HuffPo/Promotional14 of 17
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP15 of 17
- Photo: Robert Wallace/WENN16 of 17
More Celeb News
- Taylor Swift's Personal Services Company Sued for Allegedly Bailing on Chauffeur BillsMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 4:06:00 PM
- Jesse Metcalfe to Star in 'Dead Rising' After Being Killed Off on 'DallasMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 4:01:00 PM
- ABC Orders Family Comedy Pilot From Mandeville, Fred GossMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 3:54:00 PM
- Lena Dunham Changes Her Mind, Will Pay Performers on Her Book TourMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 3:52:00 PM
- 'Magic Mike XXL' Adds Elizabeth Banks and Donald GloverMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 3:43:00 PM
- Taylor Swift's Personal Services Company Sued for Allegedly Bailing on Chauffeur Bills
By Jon Warech
The Economist saved money on Photoshop this month, when Cate Blanchett opted to appear on the cover of Intelligent Life -- their bi-monthly lifestyle and culture magazine -- without any computer touchups.
RELATED: Natural Beauties
The fact that the actress went unairbrushed was a statement made by the magazine that real is beautiful.
RELATED: Celebs Showing Skin
"When other magazines photograph actresses, they routinely end up running heavily Photoshopped images, with every last wrinkle expunged," Intelligent Life editor Tim de Lisle said on the magazine's website. "Their skin is rendered so improbably smooth that, with the biggest stars, you wonder why the photographer didn't just do a shoot with their waxwork."
RELATED: Celeb Moms Over 40
Blanchett appears on the cover in casual attire, with lines on her face exposed for the world to see.
"She looks like what she is -- a woman of 42, spending her days in an office, her evenings on stage and the rest of her time looking after three young children," de Lisle said. "We can't be too self-righteous about it, because, like anyone else who puts her on a cover, we are benefiting from her beauty and distinction. But the shot is at least trying to reflect real life. It's a curious sign of the times that this has become something to shout about."
The choice to use a natural looking photo was a step against the norm in the magazine industry, but one that makes de Lisle proud.
"Publishers want a recognizable person on the cover, with a real career; but they also want an empty vessel -- for clothes and jewelry and makeup, which often seem to be supplied by the advertisers with the most muscle."
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTUnder Pressure
From Crowd Ignite