Celebs React to Elizabeth Edwards's Passing
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP1 of 8
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP2 of 8
- Photo: Richard Drew/Invision/AP3 of 8
- Photo: Mat Szwajkos/GettyImages.com4 of 8
- Photo: © Walter McBride/Retna Ltd.5 of 8
- Photo: Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com6 of 8
- Photo: Scott Kirkland/Retna Digital7 of 8
Leaders and Hollywood celebs alike are paying tribute to Elizabeth Edwards, who lost her six-year battle with cancer Tuesday morning. A best-selling author and furniture store owner, the 61-year-old was surrounded by her family and friends at the time of her passing.
"Elizabeth Edwards fought a brave battle against a terrible, ravaging disease that takes too many lives every day," said Vice President Joe Biden, 68, in a statement. "She was an inspiration to all who knew her, and to those who felt they knew her."
Biden wasn't the only political heavyweight to comment on the 61-year-old's legacy: Secretary of State Hillary Clinton also expressed her condolences shortly in a written statement.
"America has lost a passionate advocate for building a more humane and just society, for reforming our health-care system, and for finding a cure for cancer once and for all," Clinton, 63, said. "But the Edwards family and her legion of friends have lost so much more -- a loving mother, constant guardian, and wise counselor."
"Our thoughts are with the Edwards family at this time, and with all those people across the country who met Elizabeth over the years and found an instant friend -- someone who shared their experiences and offered empathy, understanding and hope."
Edwards also received an outpouring of support from celebrities on Twitter. Here's what they had to say:
- Former "Real Housewives of New Jersey" star star Dina Manzo: Another wonderful life taken by this horrific disease...RIP Elizabeth Edwards : (
- Bravo's Andy Cohen: RIP Elizabeth Edwards. She went through so much!
- Actress Alyssa Milano: Rest in peace, Elizabeth Edwards.
- New Kids on the Block singer Jonathan Knight: So sad that Elizabeth Edwards has passed!
- "Real Housewives of Atlanta" star Kim Zolciak: Sad! RT @marcmalkin: CNN reporting Elizabeth Edwards has died. Sad. Really sad.
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
MORE ON USMAGAZINE.COM
Blake Lively chats motherhood, HGTV and rocking an amazing wardrobe in "The Age of Adaline" on Wonderwall.Watch Video »
Sam Smith looks happy and healthy while enjoying the sights in New Zealand on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Gisele Bundchen remembers her first runway, plus more supermodels' big week on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Dakota Johnson, E.L. James, and Sam Taylor-Johnson chat about "Fifty Shades of Grey" and it's super fans.Watch Video »
Check out Duchess Kate's chic yet budget-friendly looks during her second pregnancy.Watch Video »
Check out the cast of superheroes and their super cute families on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite