Charlize Theron says motherhood makes her "want to explore real issues" on the big screen
- Photo: IPA/ZJF/WENN1 of 9
- Photo: infusla-275/INF2 of 9
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage3 of 9
- Photo: Terma/SL/Fame Flynet4 of 9
- Photo: MiamiPIXX/VEM/SBMF/Fame Flynet5 of 9
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP6 of 9
- Photo: HACO WAHS/GSI7 of 9
- Photo: Jonathan Leibson/Getty Images North America8 of 9
More Celeb News
- Taylor Swift's Personal Services Company Sued for Allegedly Bailing on Chauffeur BillsMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 4:06:00 PM
- Jesse Metcalfe to Star in 'Dead Rising' After Being Killed Off on 'DallasMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 4:01:00 PM
- ABC Orders Family Comedy Pilot From Mandeville, Fred GossMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 3:54:00 PM
- Lena Dunham Changes Her Mind, Will Pay Performers on Her Book TourMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 3:52:00 PM
- 'Magic Mike XXL' Adds Elizabeth Banks and Donald GloverMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 3:43:00 PM
- Taylor Swift's Personal Services Company Sued for Allegedly Bailing on Chauffeur Bills
By Gena Oppenheim with reporting by Heather Newgen
Charlize Theron is a mom now, but that doesn't mean she's going to be sticking to roles in kiddie movies. While out at the "A Million Ways to Die in the West" premiere in Los Angeles, the actress told Wonderwall that motherhood has made her want to take on more serious and important roles.
RELATED: Fashion don'ts
"I think it's a personal thing, but for me, having a child only emphasizes how much more I want to explore real issues and things that really matter," she revealed. "Darkness is one of those things that I don't think that I can veer away from just because I have a child."
The "Monster" star, romantically linked to Sean Penn, became more motivated to take part in eye-opening films after adopting her son Jackson in 2012.
RELATED: Celebs without makeup
"When you have a child, you become almost more obsessed with wanting to know why people do bad things," Charlize said. "It doesn't at all make me want to go, 'I'm just going to close my eyes and be naive about it.'"
But her 2-year-old boy has a long way to go before he'll be allowed to watch his mom in any of her dramatic roles.
RELATED: Celebrity baby countdown
"Obviously he's not going to see any of that stuff until he's way older," she explained.
And regardless of her big-screen ambitions, the South African native's first priority is her toddler.
She added: "My work comes way below him so even though I have all of those interests and I want to go and explore all of that stuff, it's when I have time for that."
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTUnder Pressure
From Crowd Ignite