Daryl Hannah opens up about autism diagnosis, fear of the spotlight
- Photo: Katy Winn/Invision/AP1 of 17
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP2 of 17
- Photo: Reed Saxon/Invision/AP3 of 17
- Photo: Reed Saxon/Invision/AP4 of 17
- Photo: Evan Vucci/Invision/AP5 of 17
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP6 of 17
- Photo: ALISTAIR FULLER/Invision/AP7 of 17
- Photo: Fame Pictures8 of 17
- Photo: Casey Rodgers/Invision/AP9 of 17
- Photo: KEVORK DJANSEZIAN/Invision/AP10 of 17
- Photo: ALASTAIR GRANT/Invision/AP11 of 17
- Photo: John Shearer/Wonderwall12 of 17
- Photo: FRANKIE ZITHS/Invision/AP13 of 17
- Photo: ED BAILEY/Invision/AP14 of 17
- Photo: Reed Saxon/Invision/AP15 of 17
- Photo: KEVORK DJANSEZIAN/Invision/AP16 of 17
During the 1980s and beyond, Daryl Hannah was a staple of the silver screen, starring in hits like "Splash," "Blade Runner," "Wall Street" and "Steel Magnolias." As she recently admitted to People, however, her fame presented a bigger challenge than the public realized.
RELATED: Celeb protesters
Diagnosed with autism as a child, Hannah, now 52, hid her disorder for fear of not being hired, despite having battled "debilitating shyness" throughout her life.
"I've never been comfortable being the center of attention. It's always freaked me out," the actress says (via the Daily Mail).
"I'm a grown up now," she explained. "I've learned a couple of things that really would've made my life easier if I'd known them 20 years ago."
As a girl, Hannah says she handled her discomfort by rocking back and forth. Now, she's found healthier outlets for her fears and frustrations, like risking her own freedom in the name of causes like mountaintop removal, farmers' rights and opposition to the TransCanada Keystone XL pipeline.
"I wasted so much time scared, self-conscious and insecure," she says of her past.
"Life is too short to stress the small things anymore."
Hannah, who has been arrested a handful of times for her protest efforts, now lives on a farm with her boyfriend of three years and rescue pig named Molly.
As she told the Telegraph back in 2007, "getting older has brought me peace of mind."
Best & Worst VMA
See some of the best and worst fashion from this year's nominees at previous VMAs.Watch Video »
Take a look at some of Katy Perry's most talked-about looks from over the years.Watch Video »
Check out Blake Lively and Duchess Kate's growing baby bumps on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Jennifer Hudson, Michelle Williams, and Paris Hilton all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Worst Fall Trends
From Jessica Simpson to Heidi Klum, check out these A-listers and their worst fall fashion duds.Watch Video »
Kourtney Kardashian shares pictures from her recent trip to Disneyland on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »