DiCaprio calls for ivory trade ban in Thailand
- Photo: Jackson Lee/NPG1 of 19
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage2 of 19
- Photo: Joe Stevens/Retna Ltd.3 of 19
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage4 of 19
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com5 of 19
- Photo: Ari Perilstein/Getty Images North America6 of 19
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/Getty Images North America7 of 19
- Photo: Moviestore Collection/Rex USA8 of 19
- Photo: BEImages/Rex USA9 of 19
- Photo: Picture Perfect/Rex USA10 of 19
- Photo: Peter Brooker/Rex USA11 of 19
- Photo: c.Dreamworks/Everett/Rex USA12 of 19
- Photo: Richard Young/Rex USA13 of 19
- Photo: Tony Larkin/Rex USA14 of 19
- Photo: Arnold Slater/Rex USA15 of 19
- Photo: Richard Young/Rex USA16 of 19
- Photo: MARK J. TERRILL/Invision/AP17 of 19
- Photo: Ralph/PacificCoastNews.com18 of 19
BANGKOK (AP) — Hollywood actor Leonardo DiCaprio has called on the Thai government to ban all ivory trade in the country as part of a global campaign to tackle the illegal wildlife crimes.
RELATED: Celeb protesters
International conservation group World Wildlife Fund said in a statement Tuesday that DiCaprio sent a personal email to his friends and supporters to encourage them to sign a petition addressing Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra over the wildlife trade.
RELATED: Celeb field guide to going green
In the email, DiCaprio called on the Thai government to take the lead on elephant conservation by shutting down the ivory market.
RELATED: 13 predictions for 2013
Although Thai law prohibits the sale of African tusks in the kingdom, ivory from domesticated elephants can be traded legally.
Activists say the loophole encourages massive quantities of African ivory to be illegally imported to Thailand each year.
Beyonce rocks a one-piece, plus more of the best celeb swimsuit moments of summer 2015 thus far on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Bellamy Young chats attachment to her "Scandal" wig, dishes on her hopes for season five and more!Watch Video »
From Taylor Swift to Diane Kruger, check out the celebs with the best summer street style!Watch Video »
Check out Diane Kruger, Elizabeth Banks, and Kendall Jenner's style statements on OMG Celeb Fashion hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Learn how you can get Jennifer Lawrence's fresh-faced glow at home on the latest episode of Wonderwall.com's DIY Celeb Makeup.Watch Video »
Jada Pinkett Smith, Amber Heard and co-stars dish on what it was like on set of "Magic Mike XXL" with Wonderwall.com's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSandra's Secret
From Crowd Ignite