DiCaprio calls for ivory trade ban in Thailand
- Photo: Jackson Lee/NPG1 of 19
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage2 of 19
- Photo: Joe Stevens/Retna Ltd.3 of 19
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage4 of 19
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com5 of 19
- Photo: Ari Perilstein/Getty Images North America6 of 19
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/Getty Images North America7 of 19
- Photo: Moviestore Collection/Rex USA8 of 19
- Photo: BEImages/Rex USA9 of 19
- Photo: Picture Perfect/Rex USA10 of 19
- Photo: Peter Brooker/Rex USA11 of 19
- Photo: c.Dreamworks/Everett/Rex USA12 of 19
- Photo: Richard Young/Rex USA13 of 19
- Photo: Tony Larkin/Rex USA14 of 19
- Photo: Arnold Slater/Rex USA15 of 19
- Photo: Richard Young/Rex USA16 of 19
- Photo: MARK J. TERRILL/Invision/AP17 of 19
- Photo: Ralph/PacificCoastNews.com18 of 19
BANGKOK (AP) — Hollywood actor Leonardo DiCaprio has called on the Thai government to ban all ivory trade in the country as part of a global campaign to tackle the illegal wildlife crimes.
RELATED: Celeb protesters
International conservation group World Wildlife Fund said in a statement Tuesday that DiCaprio sent a personal email to his friends and supporters to encourage them to sign a petition addressing Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra over the wildlife trade.
RELATED: Celeb field guide to going green
In the email, DiCaprio called on the Thai government to take the lead on elephant conservation by shutting down the ivory market.
RELATED: 13 predictions for 2013
Although Thai law prohibits the sale of African tusks in the kingdom, ivory from domesticated elephants can be traded legally.
Activists say the loophole encourages massive quantities of African ivory to be illegally imported to Thailand each year.
Check out everything you need to know about Brooklyn Beckham from Instagram on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
OMG Celeb Fashion
Check out Blake Lively, Emma Watson, Reese Witherspoon and Sofia Vergara's style statements on this week's OMG Celeb Fashion!Watch Video »
The stars of "Annie" chat on-set anxieties, serenade Wonderwall's Jessica Wedemeyer with their favorite tunes from the soundtrack and more!Watch Video »
Gisele Goes Green
See how Gisele Bundchen, Jordana Brewster and more stars are celebrating Earth Day 2015 on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Have you ever wanted to make your eyes pop and your skill look luminous? We'll show you how to get the look on "DIY Celeb Makeup."Watch Video »
See the latest celeb wardrobe malfunctions.Watch Video »