DiCaprio Foundation donates $3 million to WWF
- Photo: Lionel Cironneau/Invision/AP1 of 14
- Photo: Splash News2 of 14
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP3 of 14
- Photo: Top Photo Corporation/Rex USA4 of 14
- Photo: Splash News5 of 14
- Photo: GTRES/Fame Flynet6 of 14
- Photo: C.Smith/WENN7 of 14
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage8 of 14
- Photo: Masatoshi Okauchi/Rex USA9 of 14
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP10 of 14
- Photo: Dave Allocca/StarTraks11 of 14
- Photo: Vem/Dasha/Fame Flynet12 of 14
- Photo: Ari Perilstein/Getty Images North America13 of 14
NEW YORK (AP) -- Leonardo DiCaprio wants to help the tiger population of Nepal.
RELATED: Stars who own islands
His Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation has awarded $3 million in grants to the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) to work with the Nepal government on protecting the animals.
In a statement Wednesday, the actor and activist said he's "hopeful" the money will help "exceed the goal" of doubling the tiger population that exists in Nepal now.
The money will help build up anti-poaching patrols and protect and restore areas for them to breed and expand.
The hope is to increase the number of tigers in Nepal by 2022, which is the Chinese Year of the Tiger.
Thirty-nine-year-old DiCaprio is a WWF board member.
Afraid of Bangs?
Rachel McAdams dishes on her 'About Time' makeunder, the hairstyle she's too afraid to rock in real life and more!Watch Video »
Kim Kardashian talks to ET about her new life with Kanye West and their new home they bought together.Watch Video »
Check out the Kardashians' best swimsuit moments during their family vacation in St. Barths on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Did Olivia Wilde, Kate Winslet, and Scarlett Johansson stun in the fashion department this week? Watch OMG Celeb Fashion to find out!Watch Video »
OMG Celeb Fashion
Check out Jennifer Lawrence, January Jones, and Miley Cyrus' style statements on this week's OMG Celeb Fashion.Watch Video »
Bad Summer Looks
From Miley Cyrus to Nicki Minaj, see some of the worst summer fashion in Hollywood.Watch Video »