Zac Efron pureed chicken to help bulk up
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage1 of 18
- Photo: Koi Sojer/PacificCoastNews.com2 of 18
- Photo: BILL DAVILA/StarTraks3 of 18
- Photo: Aflo/Splash News4 of 18
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage5 of 18
- Photo: Jun Sato/WireImage6 of 18
- Photo: AP1/WENN7 of 18
- Photo: Splash News8 of 18
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage9 of 18
- Photo: Red Wasp/Blue Wasp/Splash News10 of 18
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage.com11 of 18
- Photo: Amy Sancetta/Invision/AP12 of 18
- Photo: FayesVision/WENN13 of 18
- Photo: Cesar Cebolla / ALFAQUI / Camera Press/Retna Ltd.14 of 18
- Photo: Sinky/Butters/Splash News15 of 18
- Photo: VPB/WENN16 of 18
- Photo: Splash News17 of 18
Actor Zac Efron gained 25 pounds for his new role as a Marine in "The Lucky One," and part of his regimen involved by guzzling a chicken puree.
RELATED: Love Predictions: New Relationships
The "High School Musical" hunk stars in the upcoming film adaptation of Nicholas Sparks' best-selling novel about a Marine who searches for the woman he believes is his good luck charm, and Efron felt he needed to beef up to make his portrayal a convincing one.
He tells Cosmopolitan magazine, "We met with a bunch of staff sergeants at Camp Pendleton (in Southern California). Most of them were my height, but they really had a lot of extra weight on them. So, for the role, I must have put on 25 pounds."
RELATED: The Hottest Oscar Couples
The actor says he had to find creative ways to help pack on the bulk because he was simply tired of chewing all of his food.
Efron says, "If I could lay out on a table what I ate in one day, your jaw would drop. It was thousands and thousands of calories. One day I put three chicken breasts into a blender and hit 'puree' because I just couldn't chew. Chewing was taking so long!"
RELATED: Covert Couples
Fall's Best Looks
New fashion trends are here! Take a look at celebrities rocking fall's best looks so far.Watch Video »
Tats for Love
From Heidi Klum and Seal to Ryan Sweeting and Kaley Cuoco, see which stars got tattoos for love.Watch Video »
Shailene Woodley and the stars of "Divergent" chat phobias and on-set injuries at the film's world premiere.Watch Video »
Go behind the scenes at the 2015 Life Is Beautiful Music & Art Festival in Las Vegas with Rosario Dawson, Kat Graham, Snoop Dogg and more!Watch Video »
Kaley Cuoco spends time with friends and family -- and lots of horses! -- in the wake of her breakup on this week's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Pets & Love
Miranda Lambert opens up about self-esteem issues, her husband Blake Shelton and her involvement with Pedigree Dog Charity.Watch Video »