Hugh Jackman cries on '60 Minutes' remembering abandonment by his mother
- Photo: Eric Jamison/Invision/AP1 of 16
- Photo: Dave Allocca/StarTraks2 of 16
- Photo: Masatoshi Okauchi/Rex USA3 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage4 of 16
- Photo: JSG/ZJE/WENN5 of 16
- Photo: JD/Fame Flynet6 of 16
- Photo: Theo Wargo/WireImage7 of 16
- Photo: FlynetUK/Fame Flynet8 of 16
- Photo: SNAPPER/Bauer-Griffin9 of 16
- Photo: DDAA/ZOB/WENN10 of 16
- Photo: Adriana M. Barraza/WENN11 of 16
- Photo: Katy Winn/Invision/AP12 of 16
- Photo: Dan Steinberg/Invision/AP13 of 16
- Photo: Alexander Michael/Retna Ltd.14 of 16
- Photo: Carlos Costas/PacificCoastNews.com15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame PlazaMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:50:00 PM
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Goes to the Movies, But It's Lights Out for One MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:24:00 PM
- DreamWorks Animation Talks Collapse, SoftBank Turns to Legendary Entertainment (Report)MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:46:00 PM
- Dancing with the Stars: Who Got the Season's First Perfect Score?MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:27:00 PM
- Postmortem: Everything Went Wrong on Sleepy Hollow This Week. Stars Preview What's NextMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:01:00 PM
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame Plaza
Hugh Jackman is, and always will be, a family man.
In an emotional interview with "60 Minutes" that aired on Dec. 9, the "Les Miserables" actor, 44, opened up again about his mother, Grace, abandoning his family when he was 8 years old -- moving across the world from Australia to England.
"I can remember the morning she left, it's weird the things you pick up," he said with tears in his eyes. "I remember her being in a towel around her head and saying goodbye -- must have been the way she said goodbye. As I went off to school, when I came back, there was no one there in the house. The next day there was a telegram from England. Mom was there. And then that was it. I don't think she thought for a second it would be forever. I think she thought it was, 'I just need to get away, and I'll come back.' Dad used to pray every night that Mom would come back."
Jackman was the youngest of five, and his father, Chris, took of the responsibility of his children as a single parent.
"My father is my rock," he explained. "It's where I learned everything about loyalty, dependability, being there, day in, day out, no matter what."
The actor is now a father himself to son, Oscar, and daughter, Ava, with wife Deborra-Lee Furness. "We never have more than two weeks apart," Furness, 57, said of balancing Jackman's career with family time. "We choose not to. We don't like it."
What advice does his father give him now?
"It's always about the family," "The Wolverine" star said while wiping tears off his face. "It's not about work."
"And I think that's him living with probably some of his regrets," Jackman explained of his father's advice. "And feelings [that] maybe he, at the wrong time, put too much in his career. And he doesn't want me to make me that mistake. In his gentle way, he always reminds me this is the most important thing."
This article originally appeared on Usmagazine.com: Hugh Jackman Cries on 60 Minutes Remembering His Mother's Abandonment
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHow Much?!
From Crowd Ignite