'Hunger Games' Cast Subjected to Racist Attacks in Shocking Tweets
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP1 of 12
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP2 of 12
- Photo: DDAA/ZOB/WENN3 of 12
- Photo: PH3/HSS/WENN4 of 12
- Photo: JGM/PacificCoastNews.com5 of 12
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP6 of 12
- Photo: Marion Curtis/StarTraks7 of 12
- Photo: BEN KING/StarTraks8 of 12
- Photo: Thomas Padilla/Invision/AP9 of 12
- Photo: BEN KING/StarTraks10 of 12
- Photo: PH3/HSS/WENN11 of 12
More Celeb News
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame PlazaMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:50:00 PM
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Goes to the Movies, But It's Lights Out for One MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:24:00 PM
- DreamWorks Animation Talks Collapse, SoftBank Turns to Legendary Entertainment (Report)MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:46:00 PM
- Dancing with the Stars: Who Got the Season's First Perfect Score?MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:27:00 PM
- Postmortem: Everything Went Wrong on Sleepy Hollow This Week. Stars Preview What's NextMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:01:00 PM
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame Plaza
Actors Amandla Stenberg and Dayo Okeniyi definitely hit it big when they landed the roles of Rue and Thresh, respectively, in "The Hunger Games."
But the relative unknowns playing tributes from District 11 in the dystopian saga (which scored a historic $155 million its opening weekend and rave reviews) are the subject of an offensive debate among a few, totally clueless fans of Suzanne Collins' blockbuster young adult novel, as pointed out at Jezebel.
Why? Although both Rue and Thresh are described as having "dark brown skin" in the book, some bigoted fans, oddly enough, object that both Stenberg and Okeniyi are black.
Complained one fan on Twitter: "Why does rue have to be black not gonna lie kinda ruined the movie."
Added another ignorant fan: "Why did the producer make all the good characters black?"
"Why is Rue a little black girl? Stick to the book, dude," said another.
In something of a spoiler tweet, another fan admitted he was "racist" when he learned of tragic Rue's racial identity.
Another tweeter even uttered the "N" word in decrying adorable African-American actress Amandla Stenberg's race.
"I'm still pissed that Rue is black," wrote another.
"Ewwww rue is black?? I'm not watching," another person wrote.
The Tumblr blog "Hunger Games" Tweets was first to decry the shocking, offensive trend. "The reactions are all based on feelings of disgust," the blogger wrote. "These people are MAD that the girl that they cried over while reading the book was 'some black girl' all along. So now they're angry. Wasted tears, wasted emotions. ... This is a BIG problem."
RELATED ON WONDERWALL & MSN:
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHow Much?!
From Crowd Ignite