Insurance broker sentenced for scamming Tom Hanks
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP1 of 16
- Photo: JB Lacroix/WireImage2 of 16
- Photo: Russ Elliot/AdMedia/Retna Ltd.3 of 16
- Photo: Martin Harris / Capital Pictures/Retna Ltd.4 of 16
- Photo: Joseph Marzullo/WENN5 of 16
- Photo: Joseph Marzullo/WENN6 of 16
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage7 of 16
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Inivision/Invision/AP8 of 16
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage9 of 16
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage10 of 16
- Photo: Theo Wargo/WireImage11 of 16
- Photo: Andrew Toth/StarTraks12 of 16
- Photo: Jason Merritt/WireImage13 of 16
- Photo: Jason Merritt/WireImage14 of 16
- Photo: Andrew Toth/StarTraks15 of 16
LOS ANGELES (AP) — A Southern California insurance broker who overcharged Tom Hanks and his wife, Rita Wilson, hundreds of thousands of dollars has been sentenced to more than two years in federal prison.
City News Service says Jerry Goldman received a 27-month sentence on Monday. He also was ordered to pay about $840,000 in restitution.
Prosecutors claimed that between 1998 and 2011, Goldman inflated premiums by as much as 600 percent and created phony invoices to hide the scam.
The original indictment claimed that Goldman also bilked others including Andy Summers, the former guitarist for The Police.
The 60-year-old Thousand Oaks man pleaded guilty in April to mail fraud involving Hanks and Wilson.
ALSO ON WONDERWALL:
Chrissy Teigen cries over cheese, plus more of her funniest Instagram moments.Watch Video »
Tats for Love
From Heidi Klum and Seal to Ryan Sweeting and Kaley Cuoco, see which stars got tattoos for love.Watch Video »
Shailene Woodley and the stars of "Divergent" chat phobias and on-set injuries at the film's world premiere.Watch Video »
Bad Summer Looks
From Miley Cyrus to Nicki Minaj, see some of the worst summer fashion in Hollywood.Watch Video »
Shakira debuts her baby boy, plus more celeb news on social media on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
See how Miley Cyrus has changed her style over the years.Watch Video »