Jaden Smith, Will Smith laugh off emancipation rumors
- Photo: Masatoshi Okauchi/Rex USA1 of 11
- Photo: Israel Leal/Invision/AP2 of 11
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage3 of 11
- Photo: Nikki Nelson/WENN4 of 11
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP5 of 11
- Photo: Keypix/Splash News6 of 11
- Photo: E. Charbonneau/WireImage.com7 of 11
- Photo: Eric Charbonneau/WireImage.com8 of 11
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com9 of 11
- Photo: Anthony Dixon/WENN10 of 11
More Celeb News
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame PlazaMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:50:00 PM
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Goes to the Movies, But It's Lights Out for One MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:24:00 PM
- DreamWorks Animation Talks Collapse, SoftBank Turns to Legendary Entertainment (Report)MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:46:00 PM
- Dancing with the Stars: Who Got the Season's First Perfect Score?MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:27:00 PM
- Postmortem: Everything Went Wrong on Sleepy Hollow This Week. Stars Preview What's NextMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:01:00 PM
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame Plaza
It's not Independence Day just yet for Jaden Smith. The nearly 15-year-old actor and his dad, Will Smith, sat down for a joint interview on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" on Wednesday, and set the record straight about rumors that Jaden is looking to get emancipated from his easy-going parents.
"See, here's the thing that you need to understand: I'm not going anywhere," Jaden told DeGeneres when asked about whether or not he'd requested to be considered an emancipated minor on July 8, his 15th birthday. "The thing that people don't get is everything at this house is free! So I can get anything and everything at his house, so I'm going to be there 20, 30 more years."
"He says as soon as I have a movie that's bigger than one of his movies, I can get my own house," the "Karate Kid" actor joked good-naturedly.
On Monday, U.K. publication The Sun reported that Will, 44, had expressed reluctant acceptance that Jaden wanted to be freed from the legal guardianship of his parents.
"He says, 'Dad, I want to be emancipated,'" The Sun quotes Will as saying. "I know if we do this, he can be an emancipated minor, because he really wants to have his own place, like ooh. That's the backlash. On the other side, if kids just want to have command of their lives, I understand."
Will, who stars opposite his son in upcoming M. Night Shyamalan sci-fi thriller "After Earth," clarified to DeGeneres that he had simply been making a joke that was taken out of context.
"I think I made a joke in Tokyo," he said, turning to Jaden to pinch his cheeks. "I mean ... my baby boy, he's never leaving me, ever. No emancipation for the Smith kids."
Not that Will and wife Jada Pinkett Smith are strict parents. The Smith family has similarly spoken out about giving their daughter Willow Smith, 12, freedom over her look -- without legal emancipation.
"This is a world where women, girls are constantly reminded that they don't belong to themselves; that their bodies are not their own, nor their power or self-determination," Jada wrote in a Facebook post on Nov. 21. "I made a promise to endow my little girl with the power to always know that her body, spirit and her mind are her domain."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHow Much?!
From Crowd Ignite