Jim Carrey receives honorary doctorate
- Photo: Maharishi University of Management/Facebook1 of 16
- Photo: Maharishi University of Managemen/Facebook2 of 16
- Photo: HRC/WENN3 of 16
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage4 of 16
- Photo: Alex J. Berliner/BEImages/Rex USA5 of 16
- Photo: New Line Cinema/Promotional6 of 16
- Photo: Michael Kovac/Getty Images North America7 of 16
- Photo: Butterworth, Symons/PacificCoastNews.com8 of 16
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage9 of 16
- Photo: Goodwin/Fame Flynet10 of 16
- Photo: Apega/WENN11 of 16
- Photo: Peter Kramer/KRAPE12 of 16
- Photo: AXELLE WOUSSEN/Bauer-Griffin13 of 16
- Photo: Peter Kramer/KRAPE14 of 16
- Photo: Alastair Grant/Invision/AP15 of 16
Funnyman Jim Carrey was awarded an honorary doctorate from officials at a university in Iowa on Saturday.
The "Dumb and Dumber" actor donned a yellow cap and gown to receive the Doctor of Fine Arts honor at the commencement ceremony at Maharishi University of Management in Fairfield, Iowa.
During his speech, captured on video, he encouraged graduates to pursue the career they love, no matter how risky it may seem, using his own father, Percy Carrey, as an example.
RELATED: Who Said It? Commencement Speeches
"My father could have been a great comedian but he didn't believe that that was possible for him, and so he made a conservative choice. Instead, he got a safe job as an accountant. I learned many great lessons from my father, not the least of which was that you could fail at what you don't love, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love," Carrey said.
"Your job is not to figure out how it's going to happen for you, it's opening a door in your head, and when the door opens in real life, just walk through it."
Tats for Love
From Heidi Klum and Seal to Ryan Sweeting and Kaley Cuoco, see which stars got tattoos for love.Watch Video »
Fall's Best Looks
New fashion trends are here! Take a look at celebrities rocking fall's best looks so far.Watch Video »
Real 'RHOC' Dish
"Real Housewives of OC" star Shannon Beador dishes about her family, her relationship with Vicki Gunvalson and what to expect from the reunion!Watch Video »
Shailene Woodley and the stars of "Divergent" chat phobias and on-set injuries at the film's world premiere.Watch Video »
Pets & Love
Miranda Lambert opens up about self-esteem issues, her husband Blake Shelton and her involvement with Pedigree Dog Charity.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »