Jolie meets with women, girls in eastern Congo
- Photo: FayesVision/WENN1 of 16
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP2 of 16
- Photo: Thibault Camus/Invision/AP3 of 16
- Photo: KH1/WENN4 of 16
- Photo: Will Alexander/WENN5 of 16
- Photo: Rex USA6 of 16
- Photo: MARIO ANZUONI/Reuters7 of 16
- Photo: LUCAS JACKSON/Reuters8 of 16
- Photo: Jason Tanner/Invision/AP9 of 16
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage10 of 16
- Photo: Fame Flynet11 of 16
- Photo: Jason Tanner/Invision/AP12 of 16
- Photo: Jason Tanner/Invision/AP13 of 16
- Photo: Getty Images North America14 of 16
- Photo: Rocstar/CPR/Fame Flynet15 of 16
GOMA, Congo (AP) -- Angelina Jolie is meeting with women and girls in eastern Congo, where sexual violence is rampant.
Jolie, a special envoy for the U.N. refugee agency, traveled to the Nzulo camp near Goma on Monday along with British Foreign Secretary William Hague.
The International Rescue Committee says it's provided care to more than 2,500 women and girls who have been raped or abused over the last year alone. The IRC is handing out kits with flashlights and whistles, as well as cleaning products so that women can avoid bathing at creeks where the risk of assault is higher.
Sexual violence is frequently used as a weapon of war by rebel groups that operate in eastern Congo, as well as by Congolese soldiers.
RELATED: Insured celeb body parts
Get out the vote
Check out Taylor Swift's A-list ladies night out with BFFs Karlie Kloss, Ellie Goulding, Cara Delevingne and more on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Mariah Carey does her best impression of a mermaid on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Victoria Beckham posts behind-the-scenes shots from New York Fashion Week and spots her stolen bike on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Take a look back at the Kardashians' makeup-free selfies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Oscar nominee Lupita Nyong’o shares her awards season journey (and meetings with Oprah, Sidney Poitier and the Dalai Lama!) on Celebs Gone SocialWatch Video »
Kelly Osbourne and more stars chat Oscar style, their favorite fashionistas, Hollywood power couples and more!Watch Video »