Kate Winslet: Divorce Was 'Hard' for Sam Mendes and Me
- Photo: Frazer Harrison/Getty Images North America1 of 12
- Photo: Camera Press/Retna Ltd.2 of 12
- Photo: Andrew Medichini/Invision/AP3 of 12
- Photo: Wagner Az/PacificCoastNews.com4 of 12
- Photo: Clasos.com/Splash News5 of 12
- Photo: Jae Hong/Invision/AP6 of 12
- Photo: Mark Stewart/ Camera Press/Retna Ltd.7 of 12
- Photo: Mark Stewart/Camera Press/Retna Ltd.8 of 12
- Photo: Dave M. Benett/GettyImages.com9 of 12
- Photo: PPNY / GSNY/Splash News10 of 12
- Photo: Entertainment Press/Splash News11 of 12
More Celeb News
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame PlazaMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:50:00 PM
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Goes to the Movies, But It's Lights Out for One MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:24:00 PM
- DreamWorks Animation Talks Collapse, SoftBank Turns to Legendary Entertainment (Report)MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:46:00 PM
- Dancing with the Stars: Who Got the Season's First Perfect Score?MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:27:00 PM
- Postmortem: Everything Went Wrong on Sleepy Hollow This Week. Stars Preview What's NextMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:01:00 PM
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame Plaza
Kate Winslet has garnered worldwide acclaim -- plus an Oscar and many nominations -- for capturing the anguish of romantic heartache on-screen.
It helps that the actress, who turns 36 Tuesday, knows from experience. In March 2010, she and "Revolutionary Road" director Sam Mendes ended their marriage of seven years.
"One thing I will say about me and Sam is that it's fine, it's really fine," the star tells Harper's Bazaar UK -- and she has no intention of slinging mud or worse at her second husband. "I'm not going to s***fling, there's no point in even going there. It is what it is."
Shooting her Emmy-winning role in the HBO miniseries "Mildred Pierce" amid the split came especially naturally, she admitted. "There's a scene where Mildred and Bert are divorced, and they sit down together, because they've got to settle on a cause," Winslet explained. "The first stage of my divorce with Sam came through on the very day that we were shooting. So that scene is nothing to do with acting."
One key to keeping the peace with Mendes: the couple's son, Jack, 7. "We're grown-ups at the end of the day, and however hard it's been for me, it’s been equally hard for him. And we have a child together who we both love and raising him together, jointly and without any conflict, is absolutely key," Winslet explains.
And Winslet has been through this before, too. She has a daughter, Mia, nearly 12, with her first husband, Jim Threapleton.
"[Co-parenting with an ex] is the only way to do it, and I've really learnt that with Mia," Winslet explains.
And as far as the future -- Winslet is now dating "Ned Rocknroll," the wild nephew of Richard Branson -- the star is ready for whatever comes.
"I feel that I'm just at the beginning of a new narrative, and it's incredibly exciting," she tells Harper's Bazaar. "It's complicated, I know, and uncertain, but it's where life happens, between the cracks. It can be a painful process, but I truly hope that never stops for me."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHow Much?!
From Crowd Ignite