Katie Holmes Breaks Silence on Tom Cruise Divorce: 'I'm All Right'
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage1 of 13
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage2 of 13
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage3 of 13
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage4 of 13
- Photo: AO1/WENN5 of 13
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage6 of 13
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage7 of 13
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage8 of 13
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage9 of 13
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage10 of 13
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP11 of 13
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP12 of 13
More Celeb News
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame PlazaMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:50:00 PM
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Goes to the Movies, But It's Lights Out for One MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:24:00 PM
- DreamWorks Animation Talks Collapse, SoftBank Turns to Legendary Entertainment (Report)MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:46:00 PM
- Dancing with the Stars: Who Got the Season's First Perfect Score?MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:27:00 PM
- Postmortem: Everything Went Wrong on Sleepy Hollow This Week. Stars Preview What's NextMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:01:00 PM
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame Plaza
Katie Holmes is single in the city this summer -- and she's holding up just fine.
Less than one week after filing to divorce her husband of five years, Tom Cruise, Holmes, 33, is slowly made her way out of hiding, running errands with her daughter, Suri, 6, in New York, on Wednesday's July 4th holiday.
Shopping for groceries including ground beef, hamburger rolls and strawberries with Suri in tow, Holmes spoke out for the first time since her Thursday filing. "I'm all right," the actress told a New York Daily News reporter as she browsed the aisles in Whole Foods. "Thank you."
Since calling it quits with Cruise, 50, Holmes appears to be in much better spirits as she prepares to fight for sole custody of the couple's daughter. (Cruise also has two older children, Connor and Isabella, with ex-wife Nicole Kidman).
"She's been miserable for a long time, but the last couple of weeks, she's been happy -- like she's been set free," an insider tells Us Weekly of Holmes, who moved out of the New York home she shared with Cruise and into her own rented apartment weeks before her filing.
A second Holmes source confirms that the actress is keeping Suri's best interests in mind as she moves on to this new phase of her life without Cruise.
"Every move she made and everything she did was controlled. ... She felt like she was in 'Rosemary's Baby,'" the source tells the new issue of Us Weekly, referring to the classic 1968 horror film, in which an aspiring young actress [Mia Farrow] unwittingly bears a child for her husband's Satanic cult.
"This is about protecting her daughter," the source says.
This article originally appeared on Usmagazine.com: Katie Holmes Breaks Silence on Tom Cruise Divorce: "I'm Alright"
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Get out the vote
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXT'RHONY' Return?
From Crowd Ignite