Kelly Preston: Nobody Should Have to Lose a Child
- Photo: Peter Kramer/Invision/AP1 of 9
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP2 of 9
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage.com3 of 9
- Photo: ELIOT PRESS/Bauer-Griffin4 of 9
- Photo: Tonya Wise/London Ent/Splash News5 of 9
- Photo: © All Access Photo Agency / Retna Ltd./Retna Ltd.6 of 9
- Photo: Matt Stroshane, Universal Orlando Resort/.7 of 9
- Photo: Matt Stroshane/Splash News8 of 9
More Celeb News
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame PlazaMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:50:00 PM
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Goes to the Movies, But It's Lights Out for One MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:24:00 PM
- DreamWorks Animation Talks Collapse, SoftBank Turns to Legendary Entertainment (Report)MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:46:00 PM
- Dancing with the Stars: Who Got the Season's First Perfect Score?MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:27:00 PM
- Postmortem: Everything Went Wrong on Sleepy Hollow This Week. Stars Preview What's NextMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:01:00 PM
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame Plaza
To say Kelly Preston has had a tough few years is an understatement.
The actress, 49, and her husband, John Travolta, 58, lost their son Jett in January 2009 while vacationing in the Bahamas. The 16-year-old's death was attributed to a seizure. During an interview on Lifetime's "The Conversation With Amanda de Cadenet" on Thursday, Preston opened up about the tragedy that forever changed their family.
"I've had enormous loss. Nobody should have to lose a child. It's unfathomable," Preston said. "But I'm here to say that you can get through it. You can live again. You can want to live again."
Preston credited her family, friends and faith for giving her the courage to move forward.
"People were so beautiful -- so, so extraordinary from all over the world," she said. "Everybody grieves in their own way. I felt at times like I was drowning. It felt like a sea of wet blankets. And then I just peeled them off, layer by layer, so that I can now say, 'I want to live. I love life. My life is beautiful and amazing."
Preston continued, "In Scientology, we have what's called 'auditing,' and that helps you to address things in your life and to strip them away and work through them. It's a path of spiritual enlightenment. Also, it helps rid the mind of painful experience completely. Through that, the people at my church literally held my hand and got me through. ... I will forever be indebted. You never forget, but I feel like the weight of the world was lifted. There are still things that come up, for sure, but I am able to live. And to want to live, I can laugh. I'm -- for the most part -- happy. That's the greatest gift ever."
On Nov. 23, 2010, Preston and Travolta -- married since 1991 -- welcomed their third child, son Benjamin Hunter Kaleo. (Daughter Ella Bleu was born April 3, 2000.)
"Having another child after this experience -- we had to think about it, especially this late in life," Preston said. "I always wanted to have more kids. I feel like I would even have another child, but it might be pushing it."
"I'm not afraid to love and to love deeply. My kids help me with that. They open up your heart so much," Preston said. "There's nothing like the love of a child . . . it's the greatest thing ever."
"The Conversation With Amanda de Cadenet" airs Thursdays at 11 p.m. EST on Lifetime.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHow Much?!
From Crowd Ignite