Elizabeth Taylor's first wedding dress sells for $188K
- Photo: Frank Augstein/Invision/AP1 of 19
- Photo: Frank Augstein/Invision/AP2 of 19
- Photo: Invision/AP3 of 19
- Photo: Invision/AP4 of 19
- Photo: Frank Edwards/Getty Images North America5 of 19
- Photo: BEImages/Rex USA6 of 19
- Photo: Invision/AP7 of 19
- Photo: PF1/WENN8 of 19
- Photo: Invision/AP9 of 19
- Photo: Express/Hulton Archive/GettyImages.com10 of 19
- Photo: Julie Markes/Invision/AP11 of 19
- Photo: Invision/AP12 of 19
- Photo: WireImage.com13 of 19
- Photo: Invision/AP14 of 19
- Photo: PF1/http://www.wenn.com/15 of 19
- Photo: PF1/Promotional16 of 19
- Photo: RICHARD DREW/Invision/AP17 of 19
- Photo: PF1/http://www.wenn.com/18 of 19
LONDON (AP) -- The gown that an 18-year-old Elizabeth Taylor wore for her first wedding to hotel heir Conrad "Nicky" Hilton Jr. has fetched 121,875 pounds ($187,931) at a London auction.
RELATED: Fashion don'ts
Christie's director Nicolette Tomkinson said Wednesday's sale price, more than double the highest estimate, reflected the gown's significance in the history of film and fashion.
Taylor wore the cream-colored, seed pearl-encrusted satin dress -- complete with waist-cinching built-in corset -- in May 1950, the first of her eight weddings. Hundreds of guests, including Gene Kelly, Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, turned up, and studio MGM boasted that "more stars than there are in heaven" attended.
RELATED: In Memoriam: Elizabeth Taylor
Taylor and Hilton divorced months later, and the actress went on to wed seven more times. She died in 2011 at the age of 79.
Get out the vote
No More Kids!
Gwen Stefani chats completing her family with son Apollo, life's biggest surprises, scary fashion mishaps and more!Watch Video »
The Backstreet Boys chat about their raw documentary and if band life is as fun now as it was in the '90s.Watch Video »
Who's That Girl?
Get the scoop on everything you need to know about Gigi Hadid on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on the mother-daughter duo on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Watch as Chaz Bono talks about his documentary about his gender reassignment surgery.Watch Video »
Gavin DeGraw talks about the Folgers' jingle contest, 'Dancing with the Stars' and more with Wonderwall Editor Stacie Anthony.Watch Video »