Elizabeth Taylor's first wedding dress sells for $188K
- Photo: Frank Augstein/Invision/AP1 of 19
- Photo: Frank Augstein/Invision/AP2 of 19
- Photo: Invision/AP3 of 19
- Photo: Invision/AP4 of 19
- Photo: Frank Edwards/Getty Images North America5 of 19
- Photo: BEImages/Rex USA6 of 19
- Photo: Invision/AP7 of 19
- Photo: PF1/WENN8 of 19
- Photo: Invision/AP9 of 19
- Photo: Express/Hulton Archive/GettyImages.com10 of 19
- Photo: Julie Markes/Invision/AP11 of 19
- Photo: Invision/AP12 of 19
- Photo: WireImage.com13 of 19
- Photo: Invision/AP14 of 19
- Photo: PF1/http://www.wenn.com/15 of 19
- Photo: PF1/Promotional16 of 19
- Photo: RICHARD DREW/Invision/AP17 of 19
- Photo: PF1/http://www.wenn.com/18 of 19
LONDON (AP) -- The gown that an 18-year-old Elizabeth Taylor wore for her first wedding to hotel heir Conrad "Nicky" Hilton Jr. has fetched 121,875 pounds ($187,931) at a London auction.
RELATED: Fashion don'ts
Christie's director Nicolette Tomkinson said Wednesday's sale price, more than double the highest estimate, reflected the gown's significance in the history of film and fashion.
Taylor wore the cream-colored, seed pearl-encrusted satin dress -- complete with waist-cinching built-in corset -- in May 1950, the first of her eight weddings. Hundreds of guests, including Gene Kelly, Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, turned up, and studio MGM boasted that "more stars than there are in heaven" attended.
RELATED: In Memoriam: Elizabeth Taylor
Taylor and Hilton divorced months later, and the actress went on to wed seven more times. She died in 2011 at the age of 79.
Get out the vote
Check out Diane Kruger, Elizabeth Banks, and Kendall Jenner's style statements on OMG Celeb Fashion hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Bellamy Young chats attachment to her "Scandal" wig, dishes on her hopes for season five and more!Watch Video »
Learn how you can get Jennifer Lawrence's fresh-faced glow at home on the latest episode of Wonderwall.com's DIY Celeb Makeup.Watch Video »
Channing Tatum, Joe Manganiello and co-stars dish on being naked and wearing thongs on the set of "Magic Mike XXL" with Wonderwall.com's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
From Kate Hudson to Tyra Banks, check out these gorgeous stars sans makeup!Watch Video »
Jada Pinkett Smith, Amber Heard and co-stars dish on what it was like on set of "Magic Mike XXL" with Wonderwall.com's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTFun in the Sun
From Crowd Ignite