Mark Wahlberg: I Would Have Been a Hero on 9/11 Plane
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage1 of 18
- Photo: RAK/ZO6/WENN2 of 18
- Photo: Allan Bregg/Splash News3 of 18
- Photo: BSA/ZOJ/WENN4 of 18
- Photo: Owen Beiny/WENN5 of 18
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Wonderwall6 of 18
- Photo: Peter Kramer/Invision/AP7 of 18
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com8 of 18
- Photo: Peter Kramer/Invision/AP9 of 18
- Photo: AB1/WENN10 of 18
- Photo: Adriana M. Barraza/WENN11 of 18
- Photo: COKE WHITWORTH/Invision/AP12 of 18
- Photo: ANDREW MEDICHINI/Invision/AP13 of 18
- Photo: Theo Wargo/WireImage.com14 of 18
- Photo: Barry King/WireImage15 of 18
- Photo: Splash News16 of 18
- Photo: Warner Bros.17 of 18
Us Weekly -- Mark Wahlberg doesn't just play an action hero on the big screen -- he wants to be one in real life, too.
In the February issue of Men's Journal, the 40-year-old actor reveals he was scheduled to be on one of the two planes that crashed into the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001. Had Wahlberg made his flight, the "Contraband" star predicts things would have turned out much differently.
"If I was on that plane with my kids, it wouldn't have went down like it did," Wahlberg imagines. "There would have been a lot of blood in that first-class cabin and then me saying, 'OK, we're going to land somewhere safely. Don't worry.'"
The controversial comments immediately drew criticism from 9/11 survivors and victims, their families and the media. TMZ reported on Wednesday afternoon that Wahlberg had apologized for his comments to Men's Journal.
"To speculate about such a situation is ridiculous to begin with," he said. "I deeply apologize to the families of the victims that my answer came off as insensitive, it was certainly not my intention."
Hero talk aside, Wahlberg says he has a soft side. He admits to crying "about six or seven times" while watching "The Help," which his wife Rhea Durham picked. Wahlberg tells Men's Journal he lets Durham choose what they see on date nights, "as long as it isn't a Sarah Jessica Parker movie."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Get out the vote
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is up to today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTTwitter Tirade
From Crowd Ignite