Melanie Griffith Erases Antonio Banderas From her Heart, Tattoo Now Empty Following Split
- Photo: Rex USA1 of 25
- Photo: Rex USA2 of 25
- Photo: Rex USA3 of 25
- Photo: Rex USA4 of 25
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP5 of 25
- Photo: Rob Latour/REX USA/Rex USA6 of 25
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP7 of 25
- Photo: Twentieth Century Fox8 of 25
- Photo: Eric Charbonneau/WireImage9 of 25
- Photo: FGA/WENN10 of 25
- Photo: FS2/WENN11 of 25
- Photo: JG3/ZJE/WENN12 of 25
- Photo: PN2/ARB/WENN13 of 25
- Photo: J. Vespa/WireImage14 of 25
- Photo: WireImage.com15 of 25
- Photo: Splash News16 of 25
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP17 of 25
- Photo: Andres Kudacki/Invision/AP18 of 25
- Photo: Fame Flynet19 of 25
- Photo: Peter Kramer/Invision/AP20 of 25
- Photo: Vince Bucci/Invision/AP21 of 25
- Photo: Fame Pictures/Fame Pictures22 of 25
- Photo: PacificCoastNews.com23 of 25
- Photo: Manuel Salazar/Invision/AP24 of 25
Arrivederci Antonio! Newly single Melanie Griffith made a bold statement at Italy's Taormina Film Festival on Tuesday, June 17 -- covering up her husband Antonio Banderas' name on her famous heart tattoo.
A week and a half after announcing she and husband Banderas were separating, the 56-year-old Oscar nominee attended the film festival awards ceremony with buddy Eva Longoria. And while the actress looked stunning in a skimpy, leopard print dress, it was her altered tattoo that caught most eyes as she walked the red carpet.
The trademark tattoo, which Griffith first showed off in 1998, had a blurred, flesh-colored patch where the name "Antonio" used to appear, leaving the heart conspicuously empty. It appeared that makeup had been used to almost entirely cover the old letters.
The last time Griffith’s tattoo had been seen intact was on Thursday, June 5, when she attended Jane Fonda's American Film Institute Lifetime Achievement Award dinner in L.A. It was the day before Griffith and Banderas, 53, made their official statement to Us Weekly that they were planning to end their relationship.
The following day, the couple announced, "We have thoughtfully and consensually decided to finalize our almost 20-year marriage in a loving and friendly manner honoring and respecting each other, our family, and friends and the beautiful time we have spent together."
But despite the glaring gap in her tattoo, Griffith appeared in good spirits as she joked and laughed with friend Longoria at the Italian festival.
"There was no cheating on either side. They had fallen out of love a while ago," a source told Us previously. "Their daughter Stella is about to be 18 in September and they wanted to wait until [the] kids were grown and out of the house before they split up, but knew they would a while ago. They stayed together for the sake of the kids."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is up to today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »