Nicolas Cage: 'Fame sucks right now'
- Photo: Jack Plunkett/Invision/AP1 of 11
- Photo: Ron Galella, Ltd./Getty Images North America2 of 11
- Photo: JMAB/VMAB/WENN3 of 11
- Photo: FCL/ZOB/WENN4 of 11
- Photo: ACTION PRESS/StarTraks5 of 11
- Photo: Vincent Yu/Invision/AP6 of 11
- Photo: Nicolas Briquet/StarTraks7 of 11
- Photo: Retna Ltd.8 of 11
- Photo: GSI9 of 11
- Photo: Ken McKay/Rex / Rex USA/Rex USA10 of 11
More Celeb News
- Taylor Swift's Personal Services Company Sued for Allegedly Bailing on Chauffeur BillsMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 4:06:00 PM
- Jesse Metcalfe to Star in 'Dead Rising' After Being Killed Off on 'DallasMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 4:01:00 PM
- ABC Orders Family Comedy Pilot From Mandeville, Fred GossMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 3:54:00 PM
- Lena Dunham Changes Her Mind, Will Pay Performers on Her Book TourMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 3:52:00 PM
- 'Magic Mike XXL' Adds Elizabeth Banks and Donald GloverMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 3:43:00 PM
- Taylor Swift's Personal Services Company Sued for Allegedly Bailing on Chauffeur Bills
Nicolas Cage is convinced life as a Hollywood star has become more difficult over the last few years, insisting "it really sucks to be famous right now".
RELATED: Best celeb mug shots
The actor fears the movie business has become too closely entwined with celebrities' personal lives, and he can't understand the public's interest in his activities away from the big screen.
Addressing reporters at the South by Southwest (SXSW) festival in Austin, Texas, Cage says, "I started acting because I wanted to be James Dean. ... This was before everyone had a thing called a smart phone and before the advent of the 'celebutard' -- just being famous for famous' sake. I'm not complaining, but it really sucks to be famous right now. ... Now even the art of film criticism ... (a) critic who reviewed 'Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call,' incorporated how many homes I bought or sold into the review."
RELATED: Shocking celebrity couples
Cage goes on to cite troubled actress Lindsay Lohan as an example of fame gone bad, adding, "What the hell does Lindsay Lohan's personal life have to do with her performance in 'The Canyons'? It should always be about the work itself. What difference does it make if Bill Clinton had an affair -- how does that affect his performance as president? In my opinion, I don't want to see personal aspects of someone's life eclipse (their) work."
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTUnder Pressure
From Crowd Ignite