Reese Witherspoon speaks out about her arrest: 'I said all kinds of crazy things'
- Photo: Brian To/WENN1 of 7
- Photo: Jamie McCarthy/WireImage2 of 7
- Photo: Rex USA3 of 7
- Photo: JWNY/GSI4 of 7
- Photo: Patriot Pics/Fame Flynet5 of 7
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/VF11/WireImage6 of 7
More Celeb News
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame PlazaMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:50:00 PM
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Goes to the Movies, But It's Lights Out for One MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:24:00 PM
- DreamWorks Animation Talks Collapse, SoftBank Turns to Legendary Entertainment (Report)MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:46:00 PM
- Dancing with the Stars: Who Got the Season's First Perfect Score?MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:27:00 PM
- Postmortem: Everything Went Wrong on Sleepy Hollow This Week. Stars Preview What's NextMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:01:00 PM
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame Plaza
Reese Witherspoon is ready to face the music. The Oscar-winning actress is finally speaking out about her shocking April 19 arrest for disorderly conduct in Atlanta -- in which the star, 37, threw a fit at a police officer who pulled over her husband, Jim Toth, for suspected DUI. Although she quickly released a written statement after news broke of the bust, the "Mud" actress has otherwise remained mum on the mortifying incident.
Addressing the scuffle in a TV interview on "Good Morning America" on Thursday, Witherspoon reveals that the encounter -- in which she told the cop, "Do you know my name?" -- was even more outrageous than fans know. (Watch the video here.)
"I saw [the cop] arresting my husband and I literally panicked," Witherspoon explained. "I told him I was pregnant. I'm not pregnant. I said all kinds of crazy things," revealed the star, who gave birth to their son, Tennessee, last September.
Walking back through the fateful night, Witherspoon said, "We went out to dinner in Atlanta, and we had one too many glasses of wine." The star was in Atlanta with her CAA agent hubby, 42, as she shot the film "The Good Lie." "We thought we were fine to drive, and we absolutely were not. ... We know better, and we shouldn't have done that."
The so-called America's sweetheart famously sassed the police officer who pulled them over and asked Toth to perform a sobriety test.
"I was so disrespectful to him," Witherspoon admitted. "I have police officers in my family. I work with police officers every day. I know better. It's just unacceptable."
The star added that she spoke with Atlanta authorities again earlier this week. "Yesterday I spoke to them and again just said, 'There is no reason to be disrespectful to a police officer.' Again, I just panicked."
The worst part? Explaining the arrest to her older kids with ex Ryan Phillippe: Ava, 13, and Deacon, 8. "We have to say when you make a mistake, you take responsibility, and we are taking responsibility and doing everything in our power to make it right."
Joked the "Legally Blonde" superstar: "I played a lawyer in a movie so many times I think I am a lawyer. ... And clearly I'm not a lawyer because I got arrested."
RELATED ON WONDERWALL:
What's the story behind Reese's downward-gazing mug shot?
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTUnder Pressure
From Crowd Ignite