Robert Downey Jr. Asks Hollywood to 'Forgive' Mel Gibson
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage.com1 of 32
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage.com2 of 32
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage.com3 of 32
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage.com4 of 32
- Photo: Jae C. Hong/Invision/AP5 of 32
- Photo: Splash News/WENN6 of 32
- Photo: Arturo Rodriguez/Invision/AP7 of 32
- Photo: Kevork Djansezian/Invision/AP8 of 32
- Photo: Kevork Djansezian/Invision/AP9 of 32
- Photo: Ken Regan/Summit Entertainment/Promotional10 of 32
- Photo: MATT SAYLES/Invision/AP11 of 32
- Photo: MWA/ZOJ/WENN12 of 32
- Photo: Peter Morrison/Invision/AP13 of 32
- Photo: SGranitz/WireImage.com14 of 32
- Photo: Mark Lennihan/Invision/AP15 of 32
- Photo: WENN16 of 32
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage.com17 of 32
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP18 of 32
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP19 of 32
- Photo: AB5/WENN20 of 32
- Photo: Vinnie Zuffante/GettyImages.com21 of 32
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage.com22 of 32
- Photo: TKA/ZOJ/WENN23 of 32
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com24 of 32
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage.com25 of 32
- Photo: WENN/Invision/AP26 of 32
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage.com27 of 32
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage.com28 of 32
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP29 of 32
- Photo: LAPD/Pacific Coast News30 of 32
- Photo: Kevork Djansezian/Invision/AP31 of 32
Friday night Downey, 46, accepted an American Cinematheque Award in Beverly Hills, Calif., and the actor used his time on stage to ask Hollywood to forgive Gibson, 55.
"Unless you are without sin -- and if you are, you are in the wrong f------ industry -- you should forgive him and let him work," the "Iron Man" star said.
Downey, who famously struggled with substance abuse himself in the past, costarred with Gibson in the 1990 film "Air America." "He taught my many things, and I will use the 'C' word -- courage," Downey said. "There's nothing so much wrong with him. Of course you have to worry about the guy making the judgment here. He's a good dude with a good heart.
Gibson has been open about his battle with alcoholism; throughout the years he has been repeatedly taped making offensive, anti-Semitic remarks, including a drunken rant during a 2006 arrest in Malibu, Calif. In March, he plead no contest for one misdemeanor count of spousal battery, related to a Jan. 6, 2010 incident with his ex Oksana Grigorieva. During the pair's custody case for their 23-month-old daughter Lucia, Gibson admitted, "I slapped Oksana with an open hand in an attempt to bring her back to reality."
But Downey, who is proudly clean and sober today, isn't about to judge Gibson. "Mel and I have the same lawyer, same publicist, and same shrink. I couldn't get hired and he cast me," Downey said. "He said if I accepted responsibility -- he called it hugging the cactus -- long enough, my life would take meaning. And if he helped me, I would help the next guy. But it was not reasonable to expect the next guy would be him."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Beyonce rocks a one-piece, plus more of the best celeb swimsuit moments of summer 2015 thus far on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Bellamy Young chats attachment to her "Scandal" wig, dishes on her hopes for season five and more!Watch Video »
From Taylor Swift to Diane Kruger, check out the celebs with the best summer street style!Watch Video »
Check out Diane Kruger, Elizabeth Banks, and Kendall Jenner's style statements on OMG Celeb Fashion hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Learn how you can get Jennifer Lawrence's fresh-faced glow at home on the latest episode of Wonderwall.com's DIY Celeb Makeup.Watch Video »
Jada Pinkett Smith, Amber Heard and co-stars dish on what it was like on set of "Magic Mike XXL" with Wonderwall.com's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSweet Kisses
From Crowd Ignite