Salma Hayek: I Am Proud to Be Mexican
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage1 of 16
- Photo: Jack G./Retna Digital2 of 16
- Photo: Orchon/Retna Digital3 of 16
- Photo: John Spellman/Retna Ltd.4 of 16
- Photo: Joseph Kerlakian/StarTraks5 of 16
- Photo: LTA/WENN6 of 16
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP7 of 16
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage8 of 16
- Photo: KB4/WENN9 of 16
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage10 of 16
- Photo: FA1/HSS/WENN11 of 16
- Photo: Splash News12 of 16
- Photo: ELIOT PRESS/Bauer-Griffin13 of 16
- Photo: JMAB/VMAB/http://www.wenn.com/14 of 16
- Photo: Allpix/Splash News15 of 16
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Salma Hayek says she is proud to be Mexican and that comments suggesting otherwise were "lost in translation."
RELATED: Salma Hayek's Expensive Wedding
The 45-year-old actress issued a statement Thursday after German Vogue magazine quoted her as saying she "hardly had any memories of what it is to be Mexican."
Hayek says she has never denied her background or culture, and has taught her young daughter to speak Spanish and appreciate Mexican history, music, food and folk art. She goes on to say that she has always tried "to represent my Mexican roots with honor and pride" and is saddened by the magazine's misinterpretation of her remarks.
Hayek plays the leader of a Mexican drug cartel in the Oliver Stone drama "Savages."
RELATED: Salma Hayek Eye Candy
Get out the vote
From Nicole Richie to Miley Cyrus, check out these embarrassing celebrity bikini malfunctions!Watch Video »
Kristen Stewart, Keira Knightley, and Christina Hendricks all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Find out all about Taylor Swift's cute date night and more on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
David Beckham takes off his shirt for his fans at an LA Galaxy game.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
See the latest celeb wardrobe malfunctions.Watch Video »