'Shrek' Spinoff 'Puss in Boots' Tops Box Office
- Photo: Daniel Tanner/WENN1 of 14
- Photo: Sara De Boer/StarTraks2 of 14
- Photo: Daniel Tanner/WENN3 of 14
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com4 of 14
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com5 of 14
- Photo: Demis Maryannakis/Pacific Coast News6 of 14
- Photo: Amanda Schwab/StarTraks7 of 14
- Photo: Thomas Janssen/Pacific Coast News8 of 14
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com9 of 14
- Photo: JLC/ZOJ/WENN10 of 14
- Photo: Theo Wargo/WireImage.com11 of 14
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com12 of 14
- Photo: Splash News13 of 14
NEW YORK (AP) -- The "Shrek" spinoff "Puss in Boots" landed on all fours, opening with an estimated $34 million to top the box office.
RELATED: Madonna launches model search
The DreamWorks 3-D animated film, distributed by Paramount Pictures, proved the popular character voiced by Antonio Banderas was a big enough draw outside of the "Shrek" franchise. The PG-rated "Puss in Boots" scored with family audiences on the weekend before Halloween.
RELATED: Celebrities dress up for Halloween
Paramount was also able to claim the weekend's second top performing more with the low-budget horror flick "Paranormal Activity 3." That film took in $18.5 million in its second week of release, bringing its cumulative total to $81.3 million.
RELATED: Stars hit the pumpkin patches
"The Rum Diary," the Hunter S. Thompson adaption starring Johnny Depp, opened weakly, earning just $5 million.
Check out Keri Russell's sexy wardrobe!Watch Video »
Check out "Teen Mom" star, Farrah Abraham's, transformation!Watch Video »
Diane Kruger, Margot Robbie, and Lindsay Lohan all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Katy Perry, Pink and the Kardashians take spring break early this year on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on the pop star's post-engagement glow on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Chris Hemsworth and his daughter play at the beach on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »