Stephen Baldwin arrested in New York on tax charges
- Photo: Rockland County District Attorney’s Office/.1 of 5
- Photo: Harry Pluviose/Retna Ltd.2 of 5
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage3 of 5
- Photo: DCA/WENN4 of 5
More Celeb News
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame PlazaMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:50:00 PM
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Goes to the Movies, But It's Lights Out for One MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:24:00 PM
- DreamWorks Animation Talks Collapse, SoftBank Turns to Legendary Entertainment (Report)MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:46:00 PM
- Dancing with the Stars: Who Got the Season's First Perfect Score?MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:27:00 PM
- Postmortem: Everything Went Wrong on Sleepy Hollow This Week. Stars Preview What's NextMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:01:00 PM
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame Plaza
By Chris Gardner
Uncle Sam is after Stephen Baldwin.
The actor was arrested on Thursday in New York and charged with one felony count of repeated failure to file personal income tax returns.
According to a press release from Rockland district attorney's office, Baldwin failed to file New York State personal income tax returns for 2008, 2009 and 2010. His alleged tax liability to the state, including penalties and interest, is more than $350,000.
"At a time when Rockland County and New York State face severe fiscal shortfalls, we cannot afford to allow wealthy residents to break the law by cheating on their taxes,” District Attorney Thomas P. Zugibe said in a statement. The defendant's repetitive failure to file returns and pay taxes over a period of several years contributes to the sweeping cutbacks and closures in local government and in our schools. My office will continue to investigate and prosecute those who cheat our tax system for their personal gain."
RELATED: Stars who owe the most taxes
According to the release, Baldwin's arrest is the result of an investigation spearheaded by the Rockland County Special Investigations Unit and the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance.
Baldwin was arraigned today in Nyack Justice Court where he pleaded not guilty, and was released on his own recognizance.
He is due to return to court on Feb. 5, 2013. If convicted, Baldwin faces up to four years in state prison.
Baldwin, 46, lives in Upper Grandview, N.Y., and is the youngest of the Baldwin brothers. At one time, he had a busy acting career, though more recently he has caught headlines for being a devout Christian. He also sued Kevin Costner, accusing the actor of duping him into giving up his shares in an oil cleanup technology venture. Costner won the suit earlier this year.
Baldwin's credits include "The Usual Suspects," "Born on the Fourth of July," "The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas" and "Half Baked." According to IMDB.com, he has three films currently in post-production and due for release in 2013.
RELATED: Stars in financial trouble
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTStunning Shots
From Crowd Ignite