Tom Cruise's Attorney Threatens to Sue Over Tabloid Cover Story
- Photo: DDAA/ZOB/WENN1 of 18
- Photo: JAXN/GSI2 of 18
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage3 of 18
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage4 of 18
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage5 of 18
- Photo: SGranitz/WireImage6 of 18
- Photo: RG4/WENN7 of 18
- Photo: Tom Belcher/Capital Pictures/Retna Ltd.8 of 18
- Photo: Christopher Smith/Retna Ltd.9 of 18
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage10 of 18
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage11 of 18
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage12 of 18
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage13 of 18
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP14 of 18
- Photo: Kathy Willens/Invision/AP15 of 18
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP16 of 18
- Photo: Danny Moloshok/Invision/AP17 of 18
Tom Cruise's attorney has threatened to sue the publishers of the National Enquirer tabloid over a new cover story suggesting the movie star subjected his newly estranged wife, Katie Holmes, to abuse and humiliation during their five-year marriage.
The article, headlined "Inside Tom's House of Horrors!" hit newsstands on Wednesday, and it details Holmes' alleged "secret breakdown" and her "tortured life" with the actor at their Beverly Hills, Calif., mansion.
Cruise's longtime legal representative Bert Fields has fired off a blistering cease-and-desist letter to bosses at American Media, the Enquirer's parent company, calling the headline-grabbing article "disgraceful and lurid."
The note, obtained by The Hollywood Reporter, reads: "Your cover announces, as a fact, that 'THE REAL TOM CRUISE IS A MONSTER.' Mr. Cruise is certainly not a 'monster.' He is a caring father, a hardworking actor and, above all, an honest, decent man."
Fields claims the fabricated article will cost Cruise "hundreds of millions of dollars of professional and personal damages" and is demanding editors retract the "disgusting lies" immediately, or face a costly and lengthy lawsuit.
Cruise and Holmes reached a divorce settlement on Monday, less than two weeks after the actress filed papers to end their marriage.
She has since moved into an apartment in New York with their 6-year-old daughter, Suri, while Cruise has thrown himself into his work, shooting his next film, "Oblivion," in California.
Katy Perry, Pink and the Kardashians take spring break early this year on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Diane Kruger, Margot Robbie, and Lindsay Lohan all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez and DJ Zedd keep their Instagram followers guessing about the nature of their relationship on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on the pop star's post-engagement glow on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »