Zac Efron: I'm Not a Heartthrob!
- Photo: Byron Purvis/Retna Ltd.1 of 16
- Photo: WireImage2 of 16
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage3 of 16
- Photo: Marco Provvisionato/StarTraks4 of 16
- Photo: AXELLE WOUSSEN/Bauer-Griffin5 of 16
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage6 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage7 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage8 of 16
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/WireImage9 of 16
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage10 of 16
- Photo: WENN/WENN11 of 16
- Photo: Christopher Jue; StarTraks/StarTraks12 of 16
- Photo: Koi Sojer/PacificCoastNews.com13 of 16
- Photo: BILL DAVILA/StarTraks14 of 16
- Photo: Scott Larson/Splash News15 of 16
Since he burst on the scene with Disney's "High School Musical" in 2006, Zac Efron has been a crush object for tweens, teens, and yes, grown women everywhere.
Still, during an interview with "CBS Sunday Morning" airing April 1, Efron, 24, makes it clear he's pretty uncomfortable with his teen idol status.
"For those of us who will never be a heartthrob, just explain what that's like," correspondent Tracy Smith jokingly asks the actor.
"I can't explain to you what it's like to be a heartthrob, [because] I don't think I am a heartthrob," the "New Year's Eve" star tells the host. "I hate [that word]. I hate it. It follows you around, but you don't deserve it. It's like, 'Why?'"
How does Efron define himself? "I'm just me," he insists. "I'm just Zac. Just Zac."
Though he rejects the heartthrob label, Efron accidentally revealed he has an active enough personal life in an embarrassing red carpet incident last month. At "The Lorax" premiere on Feb. 19, Efron dropped a condom in front of cheering fans.
"I never had a pocket-checking policy prior to going on the red carpet before," Efron told Matt Lauer during a "Today" show appearance later that week. "But now we [have] fully instated one!"
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Wonderwall.com goes behind the scenes at the 2015 American Music AwardsWatch Video »
In honor of the 10th anniversary of "Just Friends," check out how the stars of the film have changed.Watch Video »
Get the Duggar dish on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Tats for Love
From Heidi Klum and Seal to Ryan Sweeting and Kaley Cuoco, see which stars got tattoos for love.Watch Video »
Shailene Woodley and the stars of "Divergent" chat phobias and on-set injuries at the film's world premiere.Watch Video »
Stars chat with Wonderwall.com on the red carpet at the 2015 American Music AwardsWatch Video »