3 Doors Down bassist enters rehab following arrest
- Photo: Owen Sweeney/Rex / Rex USA/Rex USA1 of 8
- Photo: JLJ/ZOJ/WENN2 of 8
- Photo: Tim Sharp/Invision/AP3 of 8
- Photo: JLJ/ZOJ/WENN4 of 8
- Photo: JLJ/ZOJ/WENN5 of 8
- Photo: Larry Papke/Invision/AP6 of 8
- Photo: Tim Sharp/Invision/AP7 of 8
More Celeb News
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame PlazaMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:50:00 PM
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Goes to the Movies, But It's Lights Out for One MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:24:00 PM
- DreamWorks Animation Talks Collapse, SoftBank Turns to Legendary Entertainment (Report)MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:46:00 PM
- Dancing with the Stars: Who Got the Season's First Perfect Score?MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:27:00 PM
- Postmortem: Everything Went Wrong on Sleepy Hollow This Week. Stars Preview What's NextMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:01:00 PM
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame Plaza
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- The bassist for the rock band 3 Doors Down has checked himself into a drug treatment facility after bonding out of jail, the musician's lawyer said Wednesday.
Robert Todd Harrell is accused of driving under the influence and causing a fatal crash last weekend in a Nashville suburb. Police say the 41-year-old bassist admitted to drinking and taking prescription drugs before the wreck on Friday.
"He was released on bond and immediately went and checked himself into treatment," said Nashville criminal defense lawyer Ed Ryan.
The attorney declined to say where the musician is being treated. However, he said that the treatment is not court-ordered and that Harrell went voluntarily. Ryan also said that he couldn't comment any further because he had just been retained and was beginning to look into the case.
Harrell spent several days in jail and was freed on $100,000 bond on Tuesday.
Police say the 41-year-old bassist was under the influence when he was speeding down Interstate 40 and clipped the back of a pickup truck. The driver of the truck, 47-year-old Paul Shoulders Jr. was killed as a result of the crash.
A publicist for 3 Doors Down announced this week that the band was canceling four of its upcoming appearances out of respect for the victim.
Harrell is facing multiple charges, including vehicular homicide by intoxication, unlawful possession of a controlled substance, violation of the implied consent law and possession of contraband.
Police records say that Harrell seemed to be confused about the crash and what happened, and he showed signs of being impaired during a series of field sobriety tests. Harrell admitted to drinking hard cider earlier in the evening and to taking prescribed Lortab and Xanax, records show.
A breathalyzer test showed that Harrell had no alcohol in his system, records show. He refused to give a blood sample and told police that he was worried about narcotics showing up in his system, records say. Police were able to get the sample through a court order.
Harrell has had previous trouble with the law. He is scheduled to appear in a D'Iberville, Miss., court to answer a 2012 DUI charge next month. He was arrested in that city in July following an accident where he rear-ended another driver, D'Iberville Police Lt. Terry Hines said.
Records indicate that he was arrested in Pascagoula, Miss., in 1999 on a charge of public intoxication. Harrell, police said, was drunk and used profanity when talking to officers after being warned several times to keep him mouth shut. It's not clear if he was convicted on that charge.
Harrell, who currently lives just outside of Nashville, is from Mississippi. The band formed in Mississippi in the '90s and is known for such hits as "When I'm Gone" and "Kryptonite," did not elaborate on the statement.
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTUnder Pressure
From Crowd Ignite