Adam Levine: I'm Not Gay, But My Brother Is
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage.com1 of 7
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage.com2 of 7
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage.com3 of 7
- Photo: RWO/WENN4 of 7
- Photo: INB/WENN5 of 7
- Photo: AB1/WENN6 of 7
More Celeb News
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame PlazaMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:50:00 PM
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Goes to the Movies, But It's Lights Out for One MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:24:00 PM
- DreamWorks Animation Talks Collapse, SoftBank Turns to Legendary Entertainment (Report)MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:46:00 PM
- Dancing with the Stars: Who Got the Season's First Perfect Score?MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:27:00 PM
- Postmortem: Everything Went Wrong on Sleepy Hollow This Week. Stars Preview What's NextMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:01:00 PM
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame Plaza
Adam Levine doesn't mind the gay rumors.
"I'm extremely comfortable in my sexuality, so I can think, 'Oh, that's a good-looking dude," the Maroon 5 singer tells OUT Magazine in its September issue. "Acknowledging that someone's attractive and wanting to [have sex with] a dude are two different things."
"There's no way to hide my straightness," Levine adds, "but if people didn't think there was a small chance I was gay, then I wouldn't be doing my job very well. Look at the best ones, guys whose sexuality was always questioned. Bowie. Jagger. Freddie Mercury. I wouldn't be the frontman of a band if that question hadn't come up at some point."
Needless to say, the 32-year-old "Voice" mentor, who's been linked to Jessica Simpson, Paris Hilton and Kirsten Dunst in the past, grew up in a very tolerant household.
"I can single-handedly dispel any ideas that sexuality is acquired," Levine laughs. "Trust me, you're born with it. My brother is gay, and we knew when he was 2. We all knew."
When his brother came out, the Levines rallied together. "We all really wanted to provide some cushion for him and constantly let him know that it's OK," Levine tells OUT. "A lot of people don't want their kid to be gay and will fight it at all costs. But I've got news for you -- it's a losing f---ing battle. The more you fight it, the more f---ed up your kid's gonna be. You've just got to embrace it from the beginning. That's the only way to deal with it as a family."
Levine, who's currently dating Victoria's Secret model Anne Vyalitsyna, is proud of "The Voice" for featuring performers who are openly gay, two of whom made it to the finale.
"What's always pissed me off about 'American Idol' is wanting to mask that, for that to go unspoken. C'mon. You can't be publicly gay? At this point? On a singing competition? Give me a break," he says. "You can't hide basic components of these people's lives. The fact that 'The Voice' didn't have any qualms about being completely open about it is a great thing."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHow Much?!
From Crowd Ignite