Bret Michaels scheduled for heart surgery
- Photo: © Scott Harrison/Retna Ltd.1 of 6
- Photo: Judy Eddy/WENN2 of 6
- Photo: Ralph Notaro/Splash News3 of 6
- Photo: KRIEGER/Bauer-Griffin4 of 6
- Photo: Johnny Louis/WENN5 of 6
More Celeb News
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame PlazaMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:50:00 PM
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Goes to the Movies, But It's Lights Out for One MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:24:00 PM
- DreamWorks Animation Talks Collapse, SoftBank Turns to Legendary Entertainment (Report)MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:46:00 PM
- Dancing with the Stars: Who Got the Season's First Perfect Score?MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:27:00 PM
- Postmortem: Everything Went Wrong on Sleepy Hollow This Week. Stars Preview What's NextMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:01:00 PM
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame Plaza
PHOENIX (AP) — Rocker Bret Michaels is set to undergo a procedure Monday to close a hole in his heart. A surgical team at St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix will perform the procedure.
Doctors in April treated Michaels for a brain hemorrhage, and it was at that time that doctors discovered the hole in his heart.
The hospital says Michaels will undergo a cardiac catheterization during which doctors will insert a catheter into a vein in the groin and guide wires and a closure device into the heart with cameras assisting doctors as they operate to close the hole.
The closure device will remain in Michaels' heart permanently to stop abnormal blood flow between the two chambers of the heart, which is thought to have caused the warning stoke he suffered.
Doctors say that without the procedure, Michaels risks developing blood clots and an additional stroke.
RELATED: Famous people who like to hug it out
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTWedding Pics
From Crowd Ignite