Cee Lo Green Addresses Homophobic Tweet Controversy
- Photo: Lewis Jacobs/NBC1 of 17
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com2 of 17
- Photo: RHA/ZOB/WENN3 of 17
- Photo: Orchon/Retna Digital4 of 17
- Photo: DZILLA/Bauer-Griffin5 of 17
- Photo: Dominic Chan/WENN6 of 17
- Photo: Dominic Chan/WENN7 of 17
- Photo: Dominic Chan/WENN8 of 17
- Photo: WENN9 of 17
- Photo: WENN10 of 17
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com11 of 17
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com12 of 17
- Photo: Steve Ross/Capital Pictures/Retna Ltd.13 of 17
- Photo: BE2/WENN14 of 17
- Photo: Mark Wilkins/WENN15 of 17
- Photo: Matthew Rolston/NBC16 of 17
More Celeb News
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame PlazaMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:50:00 PM
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Goes to the Movies, But It's Lights Out for One MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:24:00 PM
- DreamWorks Animation Talks Collapse, SoftBank Turns to Legendary Entertainment (Report)MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:46:00 PM
- Dancing with the Stars: Who Got the Season's First Perfect Score?MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:27:00 PM
- Postmortem: Everything Went Wrong on Sleepy Hollow This Week. Stars Preview What's NextMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:01:00 PM
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame Plaza
Cee Lo Green came under fire Friday for sending a tweet that some deemed to be homophobic.
The "Forget You" singer sent the tweet to music editor Andrea Swensson after she negatively critiqued his Thursday performance with Rihanna at the Target Center in Minneapolis.
"I respect your criticism, but be fair!" "The Voice" coach wrote Friday. "People enjoyed last night! I'm guessing you're gay? And my masculinity offended you? Well f--- you!"
But Green, 37 -- who later deleted the tweet -- tells Us Weekly that he spoke too soon.
"She was very critical of me. At the time I didn't even know what gender the person was. I was being a little outspoken that night, a little outrageous," he tells Us. "I always expect people to assume that everything I do is part of my character and sense of humor. I assumed that whoever it was would assume it was all in good fun. It wasn't taken so well, apparently."
Green -- who mentors aspiring singers each week on NBC's "The Voice" alongside Christina Aguilera, Blake Shelton and Adam Levine -- wants his fans to know that he isn't homophobic.
"I most certainly am not harboring any sort of negative feeling toward the gay community. I don't have an opinion on people with different religious, sexual or political preferences," he explains. "I'm one of the most liberal artists that I think you will ever meet, and I pride myself on that. Two of the remaining members that I have on my team on The Voice are proud and outspokenly gay. We just did a team performance of 'Everyday People,' and I picked that song for us to do specifically to highlight how we can get along even though we’re so different."
Though he regrets his choice of words, Green tells Us he shouldn't "have to apologize for speaking my mind or defending my performance."
"If I could take it all back, I would. I was not being serious," he says. "I just wanted to defend our performance. It was only our third show with a whole new crew and we were all really proud about the progress that we had made."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
MORE FROM USWEEKLY:
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTStork Report
From Crowd Ignite