Cissy Houston Speaks Out for First Time Since Whitney's Death
- Photo: © Larry Busacca/Retna Ltd.1 of 16
- Photo: Photoshot/Retna Digital2 of 16
- Photo: Denise Truscello/WireImage3 of 16
- Photo: National Enquirer/.4 of 16
- Photo: Warner Bros.5 of 16
- Photo: Mel Evans/Invision/AP6 of 16
- Photo: Jason DeCrow/Invision/AP7 of 16
- Photo: Jason DeCrow/Invision/AP8 of 16
- Photo: Rich Schultz/Invision/AP9 of 16
- Photo: Mel Evans/Invision/AP10 of 16
- Photo: Jason DeCrow/Invision/AP11 of 16
- Photo: © Chris Walter/Retna Ltd.12 of 16
- Photo: Starstock/Photoshot Photo/Retna Ltd.13 of 16
- Photo: Bill Davila/Retna Ltd.14 of 16
- Photo: Bill Davila/Retna Ltd.15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame PlazaMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:50:00 PM
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Goes to the Movies, But It's Lights Out for One MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:24:00 PM
- DreamWorks Animation Talks Collapse, SoftBank Turns to Legendary Entertainment (Report)MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:46:00 PM
- Dancing with the Stars: Who Got the Season's First Perfect Score?MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:27:00 PM
- Postmortem: Everything Went Wrong on Sleepy Hollow This Week. Stars Preview What's NextMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:01:00 PM
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame Plaza
Cissy Houston has kept to herself since the Feb. 11 death of her world-famous daughter Whitney Houston.
The gospel and soul singer, 78, addresses Whitney's shocking passing and its aftermath in a TV interview with New Jersey-based My9's "10 O'Clock News" airing next Monday.
In the chat (conducted at the New Hope Baptist Church in Newark, N.J., where the "I Will Always Love You" singer's funeral was held), Cissy says her mourning process is far from over.
"I have my moments," she admits. "I'm not there yet. I don't think I'm any more courageous than anyone else. I am a true believer in God. If I could bring her back I would, but that's not possible."
Whitney was 48 years old when her body was found partially submerged in the bathtub of her hotel room at the Beverly Hilton. Autopsy results released one week ago determined that the singer's main cause of death was accidental drowning. The superstar was also suffering from the effects of heart disease, which were exacerbated by ongoing cocaine use. (Traces of cocaine were discovered in Houston's system, and the drug was also reportedly found in the hotel room.)
But Cissy says she can't hold herself responsible for her daughter's demise in her later years. "I know I did the best I could," she says. "I don’t blame myself. I know I did the best I could for everything."
In the wake of Whitney's death, Cissy watched over Bobbi Kristina, Houston's daughter with ex Bobby Brown. Bobbi is now back in Atlanta.
"My children are my whole life," Cissy adds. "She was very special to me. . she was my only daughter, and a good one. Looked out for her family."
And, regardless of Whitney's troubles, the icon left behind an impressive, chart-topping musical legacy.
"I'm very proud of my daughter," says Cissy, who famously appeared in her daughter's "Greatest Love of All" video. "She accomplished a whole lot in the short time that she had here. ... She was a very wonderful person."
The full interview airs next Monday on My9's 10 O'Clock News."
RELATED ON WONDERWALL & MSN:
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTUnder Pressure
From Crowd Ignite