Elton John praises Pope Francis
- Photo: Photoshot/Retna Ltd.1 of 16
- Photo: Fame Flynet2 of 16
- Photo: SLB/ZDS/WENN3 of 16
- Photo: Maurizio La Pira/Splash News4 of 16
- Photo: Jason DeCrow/Invision/AP5 of 16
- Photo: Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images North America6 of 16
- Photo: Stefanie Keenan/Getty Images North America7 of 16
- Photo: FayesVision/WENN8 of 16
- Photo: Hello!/.9 of 16
- Photo: CHP/Fame Flynet10 of 16
- Photo: CHP/Fame Flynet11 of 16
- Photo: CHP/Fame Pictures12 of 16
- Photo: Rex USA/.13 of 16
- Photo: Georgia Aquarium/Pacific Coast News14 of 16
- Photo: Jason DeCrow/Invision/AP15 of 16
Sir Elton John is among a number of stars who have spoken out in support of Pope Francis after the Catholic leader was named Man of the Year by editors of an Italian magazine.
The new pontiff was awarded the title by Italy's Vanity Fair, just four months after he ascended to the papacy, and the "Rocket Man" hit maker was asked for his thoughts on the selection.
Sir Elton, who has previously claimed religion promotes "hatred and spite against gays," was full of praise for Pope Francis, insisting he has the potential to help modernize the Roman Catholic Church.
He tells the publication, "Francis is a miracle of humility in the era of vanity... This pope seems to want to bring the Church back to the ancient values of Christ and at the same time, [bring it into] the 21st century. If you will reach out and touch the children, the women, the men who live with HIV and AIDS - often alone, and hidden by the silence - his beacon of hope will bring more light than any advancement of science, because no drug has the power of love "
Opera star Andrea Bocelli was also among stars who contributed to the piece on Pope Francis, telling the magazine the religious leader is "truly a gift from God."
Get out the vote
From Nicole Richie to Miley Cyrus, check out these embarrassing celebrity bikini malfunctions!Watch Video »
Kristen Stewart, Keira Knightley, and Christina Hendricks all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Find out all about Taylor Swift's cute date night and more on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
David Beckham takes off his shirt for his fans at an LA Galaxy game.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
See the latest celeb wardrobe malfunctions.Watch Video »