Fergie files legal papers to change her name
- Photo: GADE/GSI1 of 13
- Photo: Pedro Andrade/PacificCoastNews.com2 of 13
- Photo: Pablo/Goodwin/Fame Flynet3 of 13
- Photo: Pedro Andrade/PacificCoastNews.com4 of 13
- Photo: PacificCoastNews.com5 of 13
- Photo: Birdie Thompson/Retna Ltd.6 of 13
- Photo: Sara De Boer/StarTraks7 of 13
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage8 of 13
- Photo: Pablo/Stoianov/Fame Flynet9 of 13
- Photo: MARIO ANZUONI/Reuters10 of 13
- Photo: LUCAS JACKSON/Reuters11 of 13
- Photo: DANNY MOLOSHOK/Reuters12 of 13
Black Eyed Peas singer Fergie has filed legal papers to change her name to reflect her stage moniker and marriage to actor Josh Duhamel.
RELATED: Kim Kardashian's tightest looks
The singer was born Stacy Ann Ferguson, but is best known by her nickname "Fergie." She married "Transformers" star Duhamel in 2009, and now she has taken steps to give herself a new identity.
Fergie has filed documents in Los Angeles County Superior Court, formally asking to alter her name to Fergie Duhamel, according to TMZ.com.
RELATED: Fashion don'ts
The star wanted to make the change to "conform to the first name which she is commonly and professionally known as, and has been for many years."
In order for the request to be granted, Fergie must publish a notice in a local newspaper for four consecutive weeks. A hearing into the matter is scheduled for Aug. 16.
Get out the vote
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is up to today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »