Freddie Mercury's confidante addresses ashes speculation
- Photo: GILL ALLEN/Invision/AP1 of 2
More Celeb News
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame PlazaMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:50:00 PM
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Goes to the Movies, But It's Lights Out for One MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:24:00 PM
- DreamWorks Animation Talks Collapse, SoftBank Turns to Legendary Entertainment (Report)MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:46:00 PM
- Dancing with the Stars: Who Got the Season's First Perfect Score?MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:27:00 PM
- Postmortem: Everything Went Wrong on Sleepy Hollow This Week. Stars Preview What's NextMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:01:00 PM
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame Plaza
Freddie Mercury's longtime confidante is adamant she will never confirm the star's final resting place after quashing rumors suggesting his ashes were interred at a London cemetery.
The Queen frontman's friend and former lover Mary Austin was entrusted with his remains after his death from an AIDS-related illness in 1991, but she has never confirmed where the ashes were scattered.
Rumors had previously suggested she had picked Zanzibar, the country of Mercury's birth, or Lake Geneva in Switzerland, where he owned an apartment, but the recent discovery of a bronze plaque at a cemetery in London sparked fresh speculation.
RELATED: Worst boy band hairstyles
The bronze memorial was inscribed with Mercury's real name, Farrokh Bulsara, and signed by "M," believed to stand for Mary, but it went missing from a plinth at the Kensal Green Cemetery in February after the discovery became public knowledge.
However, Austin has now spoken out about the plaque, saying Mercury's ashes were never kept at the cemetery, and that she will never divulge where they are.
RELATED: Trend report: Checkered dresses
She tells Britain's Mail on Sunday newspaper, "Freddie is definitely not in that cemetery... He didn't want anyone trying to dig him up as has happened to some famous people. Fans can be deeply obsessive. He wanted it to remain a secret and it will remain so... nobody will ever know where he is buried (sic) because that was his wish."
Austin reveals she scattered the ashes in secret and even the star's parents never found out where she placed them: "I didn't want anyone to suspect that I was doing anything other than what I would normally do. I said I was going for a facial. I had to be convincing. It was very hard to find the moment. One morning, I just sneaked out of the house with the urn."
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHow Much?!
From Crowd Ignite