- Photo: Getty Images North America1 of 13
- Photo: Getty Images North America2 of 13
- Photo: Heather Lang/.3 of 13
- Photo: Getty Images North America4 of 13
- Photo: BIGMEDIABOSS/Splash News5 of 13
- Photo: SPW/Splash News6 of 13
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage7 of 13
- Photo: Getty Images North America8 of 13
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage9 of 13
- Photo: Teach/Fame Flynet10 of 13
- Photo: PacificCoastNews.com11 of 13
- Photo: NGRE/GSI12 of 13
More Celeb News
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame PlazaMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:50:00 PM
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Goes to the Movies, But It's Lights Out for One MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:24:00 PM
- DreamWorks Animation Talks Collapse, SoftBank Turns to Legendary Entertainment (Report)MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:46:00 PM
- Dancing with the Stars: Who Got the Season's First Perfect Score?MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:27:00 PM
- Postmortem: Everything Went Wrong on Sleepy Hollow This Week. Stars Preview What's NextMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:01:00 PM
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame Plaza
By Kat Giantis
No one expected Katy Perry and John Mayer to go the distance, what with their repeated breakups and makeups over the course of their 18-month romance. But now that they've reportedly parted ways yet again, the weeklies are dutifully weighing in on what went wrong.
"They're two very strong-willed people," a source explains, somewhat vaguely, to People. "Despite caring about each other very much and wanting to make it work, they are, at their core, quite different."
One purported issue: Katy, 29, loves to socialize, while John, 36, is now more of a homebody.
"At times they seemed really happy together and in love, and other times he seemed like he just wanted to get away from all the parties and go home," says the insider, adding that Katy's busy tour schedule also played a role. "She's a smart girl. She knows no relationship can survive that kind of distance and strain, and she's not going to slow down now when she's at the top of her game."
The tabloids, meanwhile, offer some less than savory speculation about what did them in.
"She always thinks John is either going to cheat or is cheating," a snitch alleges to In Touch. "She'd rather have kept dating, but he wanted to marry her. He pressured her. He gave her a ring and made the relationship more serious, which scared her because of his past."
Star, meanwhile, floats a couple of theories: Perry may have found out that Mayer cozied up to a spin instructor last May, when they were on another break, and/or he was "fed up" with how she kept sporting diamond sparklers on her ring finger to pump up engagement talk.
"That drove him away," contends a spy. "He wasn't ready."
Perhaps Katy should consider this a bullet dodged.
When asked during a recent interview on Sirius Radio why some women return to their exes, Mayer dropped this load of fried baloney: "It is a connection to the past, a reaction to fear of the unknown. They go back with a guy they don't like just because they know how to get to his bathroom in the dark."
Head, meet keyboard …
As for Perry, she sidestepped the boyfriend question while promoting her tour in Australia.
"All of my fans are my boyfriend," she enthused, before pointing to a nearby koala (because, hey, it's Australia) and announcing, "This is my boyfriend!"
ALSO ON WONDERWALL:
Candice Swanepoel and Lily Aldridge share photos from their work trip to Hawaii on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
LeAnn Rimes shares photos from her fabulous family vacation on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTStork Report
From Crowd Ignite