Got protest? Music mogul Simmons mad over milk
- Photo: PNP/WENN1 of 17
- Photo: Splash News2 of 17
- Photo: Ahmad & Saleem Elatab/Splash News3 of 17
- Photo: Mark Davis/Hope for Haiti Now/WENN4 of 17
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com5 of 17
- Photo: Aruna Gilbert/WENN6 of 17
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage.com7 of 17
- Photo: Johnny Nunez/Getty Images North America8 of 17
- Photo: Johnny Nunez/Promotional9 of 17
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage.com10 of 17
- Photo: Mark Von Holden/WireImage.com11 of 17
- Photo: Mark Von Holden/WireImage.com12 of 17
- Photo: Rob Kim/Retna Ltd.13 of 17
- Photo: Glen E. Friedman/.14 of 17
- Photo: Rob Rich, AOL.com/.15 of 17
- Photo: Shadow PR/.16 of 17
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) -- Music mogul Russell Simmons wants New York's governor to pull the plug on milk from cows.
The hip-hop impresario writes in a letter to Andrew Cuomo that milk should no longer be the state's official beverage.
Simmons, a vegan who has taken on several animal rights causes with People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, says milk from cows is less healthy than milk from rice, almonds or soy.
He tells The Associated Press he knows dairy is big business in New York but says other industries could spring up in its place.
Simmons and Cuomo go way back. They're both from Queens, and they worked together a decade ago to help soften New York's strict drug laws.
Cuomo's office didn't immediately respond Thursday to a request for comment.
Check out the Kardashians' best swimsuit moments during their family vacation in St. Barths on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Bad Summer Looks
From Miley Cyrus to Nicki Minaj, see some of the worst summer fashion in Hollywood.Watch Video »
Tats for Love
From Heidi Klum and Seal to Ryan Sweeting and Kaley Cuoco, see which stars got tattoos for love.Watch Video »
Jada Pinkett Smith, Amber Heard and co-stars dish on what it was like on set of "Magic Mike XXL" with Wonderwall.com's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Shailene Woodley and the stars of "Divergent" chat phobias and on-set injuries at the film's world premiere.Watch Video »
Kim Kardashian, Kristin Davis, and Emma Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »