Jane Austen museum in bid to buy author's ring from Kelly Clarkson
- Photo: Amanda Schwab/StarTraks1 of 13
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP2 of 13
- Photo: Darryl Webb/Invision/AP3 of 13
- Photo: Dario Cantatore/Invision/AP4 of 13
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP5 of 13
- Photo: @kelly_clarkson/Twitter6 of 13
- Photo: Miguel Aguilar/PacificCoastNews.com7 of 13
- Photo: Jason Merritt/WireImage8 of 13
- Photo: Beretta/Sims/StarTraks9 of 13
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage10 of 13
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP11 of 13
- Photo: SC2/WENN12 of 13
LONDON (AP) — Jane Austen's House Museum says it has received a $155,000 donation to help it buy the "Pride and Prejudice" writer's ring back from singer Kelly Clarkson.
Earlier this month the British government placed a temporary export ban on the gold-and-turquoise ring in the hope that money could be found to keep it in Britain.
The museum said Monday that it had raised $160,000 of the $236,000 asking price, most of it from a single anonymous donation.
RELATED: Guess the Grammy bling
Clarkson, an Austen fan, bought the ring at auction last year but has been prevented from taking it home to the United States. Museum fundraiser Louise West said the situation is a shame for Clarkson but that "the ring should stay in this country because there is so little of Austen's personal effects left."
RELATED: Celebrity engagement rings
Get out the vote
Sexy Video Shoot
Fergie shares sexy behind-the-scenes photos from her music video shoot on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Robert Pattinson to Joseph Gordon-Levitt, get all the new couple scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Check out the hottest looks that Kim Kardashian has donned since becoming a mom.Watch Video »
Cameron's long journey to ‘Avatar’
Dec. 14: Director James Cameron sits down with "Access" to talk about his highly anticipated film,...Watch Video »
Get all the pregnancy rumor scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Hilary Swank, Emma Stone, and Tilda Swinton are all Fashion Offenders this week.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTLonely Louvre
From Crowd Ignite