Jay-Z: My Daughter, Blue Ivy, Has to Love Herself
- Photo: APL/WENN1 of 20
- Photo: Fame Flynet2 of 20
- Photo: Patrick McMullan/.3 of 20
- Photo: KCSPresse/Splash News4 of 20
- Photo: Ronald Asadorian/Splash News5 of 20
- Photo: KCSPresse/Splash News6 of 20
- Photo: grifoni-sarmiento/Splash News7 of 20
- Photo: Splash News8 of 20
- Photo: Al Powers/PowersImagery.com/.9 of 20
- Photo: Splash News10 of 20
- Photo: Greg Tidwell/PacificCoastNews.com11 of 20
- Photo: Freddie Baez/StarTraks12 of 20
- Photo: AAR/Fame Flynet13 of 20
- Photo: AAR/Fame Flynet14 of 20
- Photo: FREDDIE BAEZ/StarTraks15 of 20
- Photo: Wagner Az/PacificCoastNews.com16 of 20
- Photo: helloblueivycarter.tumblr.com/.17 of 20
- Photo: helloblueivycarter.tumblr.com/.18 of 20
- Photo: helloblueivycarter.tumblr.com/.19 of 20
The 42-year-old rapper welcomed his first child with his wife, Beyonce, in January of this year. Jay-Z says his daughter's childhood will be very different from his own. The hip-hop icon, whose real name is Shawn Carter, grew up in the gritty housing projects of Brooklyn. "We would fight each other. My brother would beat me up," he says, but adds it was necessary. "I was going to have to fight, I was going to have to go through some things, and they were preparing me."
Baby Blue, however, "doesn't have to be tough," the proud dad says. "She has to love herself, she has to know who she is, she has to be respectful and be a moral person."
The happy family celebrated Beyonce's 31st birthday (Sept. 4) this week on a private yacht on the Mediterranean Sea in the South of France. On Wednesday, Jay-Z also treated the birthday girl -- who is also the new cover star of Us Weekly's style issue, on stands Friday -- to a romantic dinner out at Michelangelo Restaurant in Antibes, France.
For a peek inside the Beyonce's private world (and closet!), pick up the special fashion issue of Us Weekly, on stands Friday!
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Get out the vote
Wonderwall.com goes behind the scenes at the 2015 American Music AwardsWatch Video »
In honor of the 10th anniversary of "Just Friends," check out how the stars of the film have changed.Watch Video »
Get the Duggar dish on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Tats for Love
From Heidi Klum and Seal to Ryan Sweeting and Kaley Cuoco, see which stars got tattoos for love.Watch Video »
Shailene Woodley and the stars of "Divergent" chat phobias and on-set injuries at the film's world premiere.Watch Video »
Stars chat with Wonderwall.com on the red carpet at the 2015 American Music AwardsWatch Video »