Jay-Z: My Daughter, Blue Ivy, Has to Love Herself
- Photo: APL/WENN1 of 20
- Photo: Fame Flynet2 of 20
- Photo: Patrick McMullan/.3 of 20
- Photo: KCSPresse/Splash News4 of 20
- Photo: Ronald Asadorian/Splash News5 of 20
- Photo: KCSPresse/Splash News6 of 20
- Photo: grifoni-sarmiento/Splash News7 of 20
- Photo: Splash News8 of 20
- Photo: Al Powers/PowersImagery.com/.9 of 20
- Photo: Splash News10 of 20
- Photo: Greg Tidwell/PacificCoastNews.com11 of 20
- Photo: Freddie Baez/StarTraks12 of 20
- Photo: AAR/Fame Flynet13 of 20
- Photo: AAR/Fame Flynet14 of 20
- Photo: FREDDIE BAEZ/StarTraks15 of 20
- Photo: Wagner Az/PacificCoastNews.com16 of 20
- Photo: helloblueivycarter.tumblr.com/.17 of 20
- Photo: helloblueivycarter.tumblr.com/.18 of 20
- Photo: helloblueivycarter.tumblr.com/.19 of 20
The 42-year-old rapper welcomed his first child with his wife, Beyonce, in January of this year. Jay-Z says his daughter's childhood will be very different from his own. The hip-hop icon, whose real name is Shawn Carter, grew up in the gritty housing projects of Brooklyn. "We would fight each other. My brother would beat me up," he says, but adds it was necessary. "I was going to have to fight, I was going to have to go through some things, and they were preparing me."
Baby Blue, however, "doesn't have to be tough," the proud dad says. "She has to love herself, she has to know who she is, she has to be respectful and be a moral person."
The happy family celebrated Beyonce's 31st birthday (Sept. 4) this week on a private yacht on the Mediterranean Sea in the South of France. On Wednesday, Jay-Z also treated the birthday girl -- who is also the new cover star of Us Weekly's style issue, on stands Friday -- to a romantic dinner out at Michelangelo Restaurant in Antibes, France.
For a peek inside the Beyonce's private world (and closet!), pick up the special fashion issue of Us Weekly, on stands Friday!
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Get out the vote
Who's That Girl?
Get the scoop on everything you need to know about Gigi Hadid on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
The Backstreet Boys chat about their raw documentary and if band life is as fun now as it was in the '90s.Watch Video »
No More Kids!
Gwen Stefani chats completing her family with son Apollo, life's biggest surprises, scary fashion mishaps and more!Watch Video »
Style Faux Pas
Jennifer Lopez, Kristen Stewart, and Nina Dobrev all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Eddie Is Red Hot
Here are 5 things you may not know about Eddie Redmayne.Watch Video »
Demi Lovato snuggles with Wilmer Valderrama on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Heidi Klum to Julianne Hough, see some of the best and worst Halloween costumes from over the years.Watch Video »
Jessica Alba flaunts her bikini body and shares photos from her work trip to Thailand on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »